Bettina

Daddy said there was a surprise in my room so when we arrived home so I instantly ran to my room. When I opened the door, I was greeted by a cute cat! "Hey Kitty, whats your name?" I screeched and picked him up , looking at his tag. "Speckles." It read.

"Well hello, Speckles, may I say you are very cute!" I said and hugged my new pet. "You stay right here, okay? I'll be back I promise, I'm going to go tell daddy something!" I smiled and placed him on his bed.

I ran outside my room and down the stairs but as soon as I hit the last step... everything seemed weird. I walked into the kitchen to find a terrible sight! Miss Suzie was crying and... it wasn't a happy cry.

"D... Daddy..." I questioned, pulling on my dress. He looked down at me, and he looked like he had tears in his eyes. "Daddy why is Suzie crying?" I whispered.

I looked at Al who placed a hand on Suzie's back.

I focused on father again and he just stared at me. "Bettina, darling..." He started. His voice cracked and he wiped his eyes. "I love you very much, my Bettina, do you know that?" He asked, rubbing my cheek with his thumb. I nodded. "Why is everyone sad, Daddy?" I asked again, hoping for an answer. "You know how people volunteer to fight? To fight for our country?" He questioned. Of course I knew that, people would go into the... military? Yeah, the military. I nodded again. "Well, my Betina, sometimes not enough people volunteer and the country has to force people to go." He explained. "Yes, but why are you crying? I want to know, daddy!" I whined. "Bettina... I have to go fight... for our country... I got something called drafted. Where I'm forced to fight."

I have to go fight. The sentence rang through my ears. Daddy... is going to get fought? What if he gets hurt? "But... what if you get hurt?" I asked, tears bubbled in my eyes. "I don't want you to get hurt daddy!" I said and started crying. Father shook his head and pulled me into him. "No, no I'll be okay, yeah? I'll come back, I promise." He cooed in my ear. "When will you leave?" I whispered back. "I have a week... but I'll be back in less than a year. But I'll have to leave again." He said and I quickly pulled back. "You'll be gone for nore than a day?" I gasped. Tears were now storming out onto my eyes.  I watched as father wiped his face. He wouldn't stop looking at me.

"Daddy... I... I don't want you to leave me...!" I started yelling. My hands threw into fists and I began wailing.

Daddy picked me up and carried me to my room where he began to tell me what had to be done.

"Now Bettina... You'll stay with Al until I come back. And while you stay there you have to be good. My thoughts drained out what he was saying. A deep swelling ache was left in my chest and my throat was dry from crying. I watched as father took out a nightgown from my closet and lay it on my bed. "Take off your dress, Bettina dear." He ordered.

I took off my shoes and then my socks. Father slid my dress off from the top of my head and put it in the hamper. I grabbed the night dress and put it on. Before I got into bed, Daddy picked me up and hugged me really tightly. He rocked me back and forth as I slowly drifted off to sleep.

***TIME SKIP: THE DAY MARSHALL HAS TO LEAVE :( BROUGHT TO YOU BY: ANNOYING, CRYING CHILDREN AND CUTE CATS***

Suzie, Al, Daddy and I were all sitting in an airport. I was sitting on Als lap and playing rock. paper. scissors with daddy. "Why didn't mommy come?" I asked after winning a round. "Shes mad at the country for making me go..." He sighed. He didn't look happy about it and neither was I but I didn't want to half to end up going with her instead of Al. I liked Al, he was always super nice to me. I was about to win another round when a nice sounding woman started speaking. She started saying that group A could start lining to go to South Carolina, where Daddy said his Military camp was at. I could see sadness on daddy's face and he stood up. "wait... you're leaving now?" I asked and started to panic. "You'll be okay, Bettina dear, Al will take care of you. And you be good, you hear me?" He sternly said. I nodded and wiped my eyes with my sleeve. I know it was improper and daddy would've yelled at me but he didn't. He bent down and gave me a long kiss on the forehead before sayin, "I love you my precious daughter. I'll come back for you."

Al gave me to Suzie who was crying her heart out. Daddy and Al began to hug.. A really long hug. But it all came to an end when people started checking in. "I love you all so much, Suzie, Al and my Bettina. Please stay safe." He said to us all and disappeared in the crowd of people.

"No... Daddy!" I screamed and struggled to get out of Suzies grasp but I couldn't. "Daddy....."

***Who else is a little sad Marshall left? I am.. because I know what happens >:) but eh don't worry, I won't make it too bad. But thank you so much for reading and this story will not end until maybe 20 chapters so please stay reading and vote. Again, thank you for my active readers! I will try to update more frequently now that school is coming to an end but this summer I will be in New York so we'll see what happens. Bye my brochachos!***