Maya (mom)

I could see the guilt in Marshalls face. It wasnt even his fault. There are always multipul accidents in the winter time, it wasnt uncommon for one, even today. It was a chilling -9 degrees out. The ice on the roads can be terrible. In his case, it was the worst.

I just hoped that Bettina will be okay. Marshall was okay, that means she would be too? We waited, holding eachother for what seemed like hours. Finally, a nurse came out into the waiting room, calling Marshall's name. We ran to her, his hands over mine.

"How is she, oh God plese have her be okay." Marshall begged. The nurse looked at us both and smiled, adding," Bettina is in good hands. We pulled all of the glass from her skin and disinfected any deep cuts. Nothing is critical and she'll be perfectly okay."

We book took a deep breath and sighed. My baby girl was okay.... thank god.

The lady took us several halls deeper into the hospital and opened a door. Marshall ran inside, kneeling at Bettinas bedside. I went to the opposite side and stared at her beautiful face. She had four small cuts on her chin, cheeks and nose. I looked over at Marshall.

His face was wet with tears and I could tell he broke inside. Bettina was his life and pride. He was so proud of her. I bet seeing her like this broke his heart into pieces. The room soon filled with deep, loud sobs. Cry after cry after cry he wouldnt stop. It was 5:30 pm now, the sobbing turned into small wimpering.

We waiting until 6:00 until we finally got movement.

We both stood, looking over her. "Bettina?? Are you awake?? Can you here me sweetheart?" Marshall frantically asked, brushing hair out of her face. There wasnt a response. "Bettina...? Answer me!" he screamed, hugging her face.

"Marshall.... Marshall please stop screaming!" I yelled. "Its not helping.." He looked at me and stood up. I leaned back, knowing how much stronger he was than me. "Dont you tell me to stop, Shes all I have!" He spit out at me.

"You have me! You have your family that you moved from!" I responded. I could see frustration in his face. Shit. "I MOVED BECAUSE OF YOU!" he cried. I stayed silent, knowing he was right again. "AND I DON'T HAVE YOU! YOU ARE GONE!"

Marshall burried his face in his shirt, crying again. "You're right...." I whispered. "Im gone."