𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞 - seating chart

The teacher wouldn't shut up about her snow day

The teacher wouldn't shut up about her snow day. She was rambling about how it was her dog's first snow day instead of teaching. Y/n sighed as she stared out the window. The snow was gone. Only ice was on the streets, making it difficult to arrive at school without slipping.

After the teacher talked about her day, she started scribbling down names on the chalkboard. "These will be your seats until next semester. I hope you like them," she mentions sarcastically. Y/n tilts her head to see the board. She was slightly disappointed because she was okay with the seat she had at the moment. Maybe she'll be closer to Robin, who was also in that class.

The students got up to look at the board, and so did Y/n. She looked around to find her seat, only to see her having to sit next to a familiar name.

Bruce Yamada.

He was the boy from the diner a couple of days ago. Y/n goes over to her seat in the back before sliding her backpack under her desk. Bruce Yamada smiles politely at her before turning to the teacher. The teacher observes her clipboard. "Everyone's good. Now, we will start the class," she starts, instructing the students to open their textbooks. 

The class was tedious as always until she felt a tap on her shoulder. Y/n glances at Bruce Yamada. He holds out his hand. "I'm Bruce. Bruce Yamada," he mentions. 

Y/n takes his hand and shakes it awkwardly. "Y/n," she responds before paying attention to the class again. 

"You're the girl from the diner, right?" He questions, tapping a pencil on his desk repetitively. Y/n nods in reply. She hears him mutter "cool" before focusing back on the teacher. 

For the rest of the class, she felt a pair of eyes on her every few minutes. Y/n adjusted her seat uncomfortably. She wasn't a big fan of the idea that someone was staring at her. 

-

After the period, Y/n strolls out and stops at her locker to put away her textbooks. She turns to her right after hearing a thud. It was a group of boys from the baseball team, one of them being Bruce. "Hey," he greets. 

"Hi," she murmured. She then returns to the task she was doing earlier. Bruce's friends were whispering, but she could tell that they were talking about her by the glances they kept taking at her. The group of boys left except for one. 

"So," Bruce trails off. He pauses for a moment. Y/n raises her eyebrows at him, patiently waiting to see what he has to say. 

"Wanna come sit with me at lunch?" He asks. 

"Uh, I'm not sure," Y/n shrugs before noticing that Robin and Finney are behind her. "I gotta sit with my friends today," she adds. 

Bruce nods. "It's alright, maybe sometime else," he responds optimistically before slipping his hands into his coat pocket and walking away, giving her a small wave. 

Finney gives her a look. It was like a "what the hell are you doing?" look. Y/n purses her lips as the boys go up to her. 

"What, you're friends with Bruce Yamada now?" Robin scoffs, leaning on the locker. 

Y/n shakes her head. "Not sure. We sit next to each other in the third period now." Robin sighed before walking to the restroom a few feet away. 

She looks to see Finney staring at someone. Glancing around, Y/n notices a girl wearing a red turtleneck strolling alongside her friend through the hallways. A pink tint is now on Finney's face. 

"So, Donna?" Y/n smirks, elbowing Finney in his arm. 

"Shut up," he responds before walking to class. 

-

It was now lunchtime. The three sit at a round table near the cafeteria windows. Y/n notices Bruce Yamada, who gives her a nod before settling at a table with his friends. 

Robin stares at the two. "Is there something you're not telling us?" He suggests. She shakes her head in reply. 

"No. You've only seen us interact three times. I don't know how you came to that conclusion," she scoffs before sticking a fork into a piece of pasta and eating it. Finney glares at the two before continuing to eat his chicken sandwich. 

It was silence for the rest of lunch. The three rarely talked, only ate. Once Robin finished eating, he got up, put his tray away, and strode out of the cafeteria. It was usual for Robin to do this because he couldn't sit and watch his friends eat for half an hour. 

-

Once class was over, Bruce came up to Y/n while she was packing her notebooks into her backpack from her locker. 

"You like this spot, don't you?" she teases, causing Bruce to laugh nervously. 

Then, he slips his hands into his pockets, slowly rocking back and forth. "Do you wanna hang out sometime his weekend?" He breathes. Y/n gives him a confused look.

"What?"

Bruce takes a deep breath. "Wanna hang out on Saturday or something?" he repeats clearer than before. Y/n pauses for a moment to think if she's busy.

"Sure," she responds, making Bruce grin. 

"Alright, I'll see you at the diner at 11!" He exclaims before striding away merrily. Y/n chuckles at him. Someone's happy.