𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭 - stuck in detention

It was about one week before the winter dance

It was about one week before the winter dance. Every day, a boy walks into the class holding a "dance?" sign to a random girl. Y/n didn't mind it at first, but as the week went on, it got more disturbing. 

For example, in the first period, it was only seven-thirty in the morning when a boy walked in holding a bouquet with a stupid grin on his face, bringing them to a girl sitting next to her. Ugh, middle school students are so corny.

It was only the fourth period, and Y/n counted six kids getting asked out. The dance was in a week, so why not wait until the weekend? Maybe Y/n was just sour that she didn't get asked out by anyone yet.

Y/n hastily put her books in her locker before rushing to class. Luckily, she made it one minute before the bell. 

Unfortunately, the bell rang, and a group of boys entered the room. Y/n sighed. It was only a dance, not homecoming or prom. Why make it such a big deal?

A boy sat next to her scoffs. "These people are so fucking annoying," he points out. The girl he was proposing to was crying. Y/n and the boy try to hold in their laugh.

Y/n looks at the boy to get a better look at his face. He had bouncy curly blonde hair and strangely bright blue eyes. Y/n recognized him from previous years of being in his class. He was Vance Hopper, the scariest boy in school.

Robin was always jealous of Vance 'Pinball' Hopper. He was the reason Robin wasn't as feared. Y/n found it funny how upset Robin used to get over him.

After what felt like years, the proposal event was over. Y/n sighed in relief. "Thank God that's over."

"Worst five minutes of my life," Vance chimed in. The teacher turns to them as she hits the desk with her ruler. 

"Hopper, L/n. Talk again; you have detention," she threatens. Vance pretends to be feared while the teacher continues with the lesson.

"Ms. is so annoying," Vance complains, slouching in his seat. Y/n agrees before staying silent for a bit. 

-

Moments later, she felt a tap on her shoulder. It was Vance Hopper once again. Y/n slightly turned her head to the side so the teacher wouldn't notice.

He tossed a note onto Y/n's desk, and she slowly opened it, trying not to make any noise. When she opened it, it revealed a drawing of the teacher. It was horrible, so Y/n snickered a bit too loud. 

"Want to share that note with the class?" the teacher called out. Y/n glared at Vance Hopper as the teacher stomped toward the two. 

She grabbed the note and made a disgusted face. "Vance Hopper, did you draw this?" She questions. 

Vance Hopper nodded confidently. He didn't care if he got in trouble or not. However, Y/n did. 

"Yeah, I did draw it," Vance stated, crossing his arms. The teacher stares at the two before taking a yellow slip of paper and scribbling down their names. Y/n's eyes widen nervously. Shit. It was a detention slip.

"Detention after school," the teacher adds. Before she walks to her desk, she turns to the class. 

"Anyone else wants detention?" she asks. It was silent for a moment until the students heard screeching from behind. 

Y/n turns around to see Bruce Yamada nervously standing. It was a random gesture, so the class started to fill with whispers. Why did he do that? It was probably a reflex.

The teacher cocks an eyebrow. "Yamada? Alright," she sighs before writing his name on another slip of paper and handing it to him. Bruce nods before slumping down into his seat. 

Y/n turns and stares at him. She was confused. Bruce just shrugged in reply.

Great. Now Y/n has detention, but at least it's with Bruce. 

-

After school, Y/n and Bruce walked into the classroom where detention was. They decided to sit next to each other. 

The monitor walks in, his boots clacking loudly on the vinyl floor. The man writes down 'detention' on the chalkboard; he clears his throat as he slowly settles himself in. 

Slightly spinning himself from side to side using his foot, he speaks up. Besides Y/n, Bruce, and Vance, there were only two students. "Hello, kids, welcome to detention," he smiles. 

He continues to lecture the kids about responsibility and good behavior. Almost immediately, Y/n zones out. 

As his scolding finished, he yawned and tilted his head to the side as if he was going to fall asleep. The moment the monitor started snoring, Vance rushed out the door. Before he left, he motioned for Y/n and Bruce to join him, but they got scared and shook their head. Vance rolled his eyes before escaping the silent classroom. 

One-hour detention felt like ten years. You could only hear the monitor sleeping. Y/n got so bored she decided to do her homework since she didn't want to do it at home. She looks over to Bruce, who is dead asleep. Y/n chuckled at him. His mouth slightly parted, and she could hear his slight snores. 

Somehow, Bruce could tell Y/n was staring at him, so his eyes slowly blinked open. Y/n instantly continued working on her homework. 

"Were you looking at me?" He asks groggily. 

Y/n pursed her lips. "Yeah, you were snoring," she nervously chuckles in reply. 

Bruce squints and nods his head. "I was?" Bruce responds, rubbing his eyes as he brings his head up. Y/n nods while he checks his watch. 

"Hey, detention's over. Let's leave," Bruce suggests. Y/n agrees, and they sign out and exit the classroom. 

-

Y/n decides to walk home because if she got home any later, Y/n would be dead. Once again, Bruce walked her home. It was chilly that day, but the weather wasn't as cold as before. Y/n slipped her hands in her pocket to stay warm.

Once they arrived, Bruce cleared his throat. "Wanna hang out? Maybe on Friday?" Y/n's lips curve into a wide smile before nodding. 

Bruce smiles in reply before waving her goodbye. Y/n rushed inside, and waiting in the living room was her mother. 

"Where were you?" she says, moments away from scolding her. 

Y/n gets a bit nervous. "With Robin and Finney," she lied. Y/n's mom squinted her eyes and walked to the kitchen. Y/n lets out a sigh of relief. Her mom believed her. 

Walking into her bedroom, she puts on a record full of love songs and lies on her bed. Maybe she does like Bruce Yamada. Maybe she's over Robin. 

-

A/N:
hey everyone, i'll be pretty busy this week so i wont update as quickly (if you're wondering why i update super fast is bc i write ahead lol <3)
i hoped you enjoyed this chapter :)