xliii.

xliii. set up
( season six )

"IT makes no sense," Lyra signed. She was sat in the living room of her apartment, Ororo beside her on the couch. On the coffee table in front of them, they had laid out a bunch of newspaper articles depicting things the media claimed Magneto had done. Many were murders, but murders with no political objective. No reasoning. Even some mutants were killed. "My dad wouldn't kill mutants for no reason," she signed, eyebrows furrowed.

"That tipped me off, too," Ororo agreed, frowning. "It's all over the place. That isn't Erik's style."

"Who would frame him? And why?" Lyra wondered. She paused. "No, I can see why. How?"

Ororo interlocked her hands with Lyra's, leaning her forehead against her girlfriend's. "We'll find out," she promised. She opened her mouth to say more, when the door to Lyra's apartment was opened. In walked none other than Erik Lehnsherr. There was no way he had not noticed the two women's close proximity, nor their entwined hands. There was an unreadable expression on his face, the helmet over his head not helping.

Startled, the two pulled away from each other. "Dad-" Lyra started as quick as she could.

Erik held up a hand. "I approve, you can relax," he said, taking off his helmet. "Of all your friends, Lyra, I like her the best."

Lyra let herself relax. Good. "You're being framed," she signed, immediately changing the subject before he changed his mind.

Erik frowned. "Yes, I've noticed," he said.

"Do you have any idea who's doing it?" Ororo asked.

"I'm afraid not. A lot of people seem to hate me," Erik said, shrugging his shoulders.

"Trust me, we know," Lyra signed. She directed her eyes back to the papers in front of her. She sighed. "This isn't going to be easy," she signed.

"I hate to suggest it," Erik started, "but maybe you should get the help of your human friends."

Lyra leaned back in her seat. Ororo placed her hand over hers. Getting help from the nosiest people she knew was bound to end well, Lyra thought sarcastically. However, she did not want to involve more mutants than needed. They were busy, and in case things went awry, they did not need the heat. "You can't come," Lyra told her father.

"Yes, wouldn't want anyone getting shot."

Lyra did not miss how he did not say himself, knowing very well he'd just redirect the bullets. She looked at Ororo. "Shall we?"

As she parked in her usual parking spot at work, Lyra took a breath. She did not even know what to look for. She could ask Garcia to track Magneto. Though, that would be nearly impossible, unless she found him on a city cam by her house, in which case, she was in trouble. So, just in case that did not work, she would have to think of an alternative... otherwise, she needed to risk it.

Lyra lead Ororo up to the bullpen, waving off anyone who tried to say something about her being there. "How are we going to find this guy?" Ororo asked when they were in the elevator.

"Guess?" Lyra joked. Ororo shook her head with an amused smile. "I was going to try and make a geographical profile. Or I just ask Garcia. Hopefully the team won't try and help."

Ororo raised an eyebrow. "From what you've told me, I'm going to guess it won't be that easy," she said. The elevator doors opened. Interestingly, Rossi was the first person they ran into.