xlvii.

xlvii. devil's night
( season six, episode six )

"HEY, Little Red- what the hell are you wearing?" Those were the first words out of Morgan's mouth when he walked into the bullpen and saw her.

"What do you mean?" Lyra asked innocently.

Morgan gestured at her attire. "I mean, you're all yellow and blue, and stripy. And sleeveless. And are those supposed to be ears or horns?" he said.

"Yeah, it's Halloween," Lyra signed, shrugging.

"You never dress up. What are you?"

"I'm dressed as Wolverine. Who happens to be my friend Logan - you remember Logan - who is dressed as me."

Morgan blinked a few times. "Right. I'm not even going to question it," he said, settling on keeping his sanity instead of trying to wrap his head around the fact that Lyra Lehnsherr was dressed up. The two of them walked up to the briefing room together.

Rossi, who was already there, raised his eyebrows upon seeing her. "That's different," he said.

Lyra shrugged. "It's fit for crime fighting, if that helps."

"It doesn't."

"-It became a lot more commercialized in the 1950s with trick-or-treat, and today it rivals only Christmas in terms of popularity," Reid was saying to Prentiss as the two of them walked in. He had a pumpkin basket and a mask in his hand.

Prentiss sat down. "All I asked was what he was doing this weekend," she said.

"You know, I'm toying with the notion of either going to the Edgar Allen Poe shadow puppet theater, or the reenactment of the 19th century phantasmagoria," Reid said. "Nice costume, by the way," he said to Lyra. She nodded in thanks.

"I don't wanna know," Rossi said.

"Oh, yeah, you do. Phantasmagorias are these amazing pre-cinema projected ghost shows invented in France, where the showman attempted to spook the audience using science magic," Reid explained. Everyone shared awkward looks. "And," he continued, "it just so happens I have an extra ticket."

"Tempting," Garcia forced after a slight pause.

"Would love to, Reid, but I have plans," Lyra signed. "I promised some kids I would bring them candy and that I would embarrass Logan in front of them."

Garcia passed out the files. "Guys, I wouldn't have to worry about losing my feminine curves if you all payed attention to all the trees we're consuming around here," she said as she did so.

"When did you become an eco-freak?" Morgan asked.

"Baby, I was born green."

"We're going to Detroit," Hotch said, coming in through the back.

"But it's Halloween weekend," Reid protested.

Lyra frowned. "But I look like this," she signed.

"Arson investigators have noticed a three-year trend in the days up to Halloween," Hotch said.

"Devil's Night," Reid said.

"This UnSub is killing only these three days out of the year," Hotch stated.

"How's he doing it?" Rossi asked.

"He's burning his victims alive. He's abducting seemingly random people and dumping their bodies in abandoned parts of town. He struck again last night."