xliv.

xliv. chemical response
( season six )

LYRA was not always out as late as she was that night. Even if a man dared approach her, she could defend herself, so she was not worried. When it happened, Lyra was anticipating it. She sensed the danger before she could see it. She noticed a group of men approaching behind her. She could see that two of them had guns poorly hidden in their pants, and the other three had bats and crowbars. She did not want a fight. It was too late for that.

She threw up a protective shield as one shot at her. The three with crowbars and bats circled her, trying to look menacing. They came at her at the same time. She sent a swift kick in the gut to the one closest, sending him back as he doubled over. She sent kicks and punches to the others, making sure to duck and avoid all the blows they attempted to send her way.

She kneeled down, placing a palm against the ground to send a wave of electricity around her to send them all to the ground at once, when she was stabbed in the neck with a needle. And.. nothing happened. No electricity, at all. Lyra froze. What happened?

The men took this moment to their advantage, and things went dark for a moment. Next thing Lyra knew, she had blood on her - how much of it was hers? The blood on her hands was not, some of the blood on her clothes was not, but why was she in pain? Searing, white, hot pain in the abdomen.

She blacked-out again, and when she realized what was happening, she was knocking on a door. The door was opened, despite the late hour. David Rossi answered, his eyebrows furrowing upon seeing a bloodied Lyra at his doorstep.

"Lehnsherr? What the-" Rossi never got to finish, because Lyra lost consciousness. He barely caught her. "Shit," he cursed. He brought her inside to the best of his abilities, leaning her against the wall just in the doorway. There was a lot of blood staining her shirt. He carefully lifted it, and found a bullet wound. He cursed again. He placed one hand on the wound to stop the blood loss, and grabbed his cellphone out of his pocket with the other.

The first person he thought of calling was Hotch. The moment he picked up, Rossi started rambling. "Lyra's at my place right now, bleeding, and I don't know what to do," he said all in one breath.

"Dave, what- call an ambulance," Hotch said, having been woken up by this call. "Why- she isn't healing herself?"

"No. Aaron, she hates hospitals. She'll flip out when she wakes up."

"We'll deal with that later. Call an ambulance, I'll meet you at the hospital."

Rossi and Hotch waited for news on the lobby of the hospital. The others were on their way down as well. "Did she say anything?" Hotch asked.

Rossi shook his head. "She knocked on my door, then she passed out," he stated.

Hotch frowned. "Last time she was shot-"

"Last time?!"

"-she healed herself, using her powers. What changed this time?" Hotch wondered, ignoring his friend's interruption.

Before Rossi could answer or ask more questions, Reid ran over to them. "I came as fast as I could," he said, panting. "Is- is there any news?"

Hotch shook his head. "She's in surgery right now," he stated. He reported the same news to the others when they arrived.

"Do we know what happened?" Garcia asked, trying not to let her worry show. It did not work.

"No. She had a lot of blood on her, but I don't think it was all hers," Rossi answered.