Something Other Than Writing

"I think Malfoy's up to something."

That was the first sentence Harry had spoke when he sat beside Hermione and Ron on the Gryffindor couch.

Hermione simply glanced up to look at her friend. Ron didn't even budge. He was too invested in the paper Flitwick had assigned Gryffindor house, as if it were literal rocket science.

"Hello Harry." Was all Hermione said in return with a small smile. She looked back down at her worksheet.

"Didn't you guys hear what I just said?" Harry asked incredulously. "Malfoy is up to something?"

"Oh?" Ron uttered.

"Yes! Something to do with..." Harry glanced to his left, then his right before whispering slowly, "Voldemort."

Ron and Hermione finally looked up with an expression other than boredom.

"Harry," Hermione sighed. "For a while, you've believed that Malfoy was up to something."

"Yeah mate." Ron nodded, "it's practically routine."

Harry gaped at the two of them. "Well- I have the diary on my side! It's our evidence! Evidence I tell you!"

Hermione rolled her eyes, only bothering to tackle one topic. "Did you read anything that supports your theory?"

Harry stuttered, not yet sure if he was ready to bare the news, "Uhm... Well..."

Hermione glanced at Ron. Ron glanced at Hermione. Both wore judgemental looks.

"Harry, let's just catch up on studies
We'll pick up on this another time." Hermione exhaled a tired breath.

Harry was ready to argue.

"Come on, mate. We're behind. Let's use this spare time to avoid detention." Ron backed Hermione up, earning a grateful look from her.

Harry groaned out and left to his dorm room. It was not uncommon for him to get easily frustrated and storm away, but it never got any easier for his friends.

*              *                               *                *
       *                           *                        *
   *        *           *                 *       *             *

Draco sat on his bed, curtains drawn closed.

He had the diary Blaise had bought him on his lap, his quill between his teeth.

It had already been over a day since he had gotten the diary and he was yet to write an entry inside it.

He knew Blaise meant well and wasn't trying to hurt him. He just didn't understand the significance of the book Draco had previously.

It was partially to do with the fact that his secrets were in there and also partially to do with the fact that it was the last and only artifact Draco had that his mother had given him.

But Blaise didn't know that.

No one knew.

Apart from maybe the person who had his diary.

Damn it! He was back to stage 1 again.

The curtains to his bed opened and in came the boy he was thinking of.

"How's it going so far?" Blaise asked, looking down at the diary in Draco's hands.

Draco closed it forcefully and turned it away. "It's a diary for a reason."

Blaise sighed, "Yes, but it doesn't count if there's nothing in the book, does it?"

Draco turned back to his original position, opening his book back up onto a blank page.

Blaise leaned forward to sit next to Draco. He closed the curtains back up and turned his attention to the blond.

Draco stubbornly looked away.

"Look," Blaise began, "What happened to your diary was an accident. Something that happened due to an unfortunate event. It's not your fault. It's no ones fault. But being so caught up on it and dreading the worst is deteriorating your sanity. And that is your fault."

Draco scoffed, turning to look at the couch that was sitting just outside the bed.

Blaise continued. "I may not understand why it's so important other than the things that may be inside it, but..."

"My mother gave it to me for my ninth birthday."

Blaise pursed his lips, trying to hide his confusion. "I'm guessing that it isn't as simple as asking your mother for a new one."

"You'd guess correctly."

Blaise nodded.

They stayed quiet for a little while.

Blaise reached out and took the quill that lay in Draco's palm. He brought it to the paper.

"I don't want to replace your diary anymore if it's that special to you. I apologise. Use my gift for something else then. It may not be as significant as the other and may not hold the same charms like unlimited pages or resistance to summoning charms but it's still a gift. Use it."

With that, Blaise got up and left the bed, closing the curtains behind him.

Draco looked down at the book in his hands, frowning at it.

Use it? If he wasn't going to use it as a diary, then what the hell could he use it for?

All he knew how to do was write, and that was soothing enough.

What else could he do that would calm him in the same way his diary did?

Draco sat there thinking for a long time, everything and yet nothing flashing through his head.

"Hm..." was all Draco mumbled.

He closed the book off and called it an early day.

Thank you all for being so patient!I know how much most of you wanted a new chapter, and here it is. :)

I'll try and get a new one out before my birthday too!