Chapter 6 - The Mission

Ron was sitting at his desk in his office at the Ministry. Head in hands, silently crying. He looked over to the picture of his wife, Hermione. He picked it up and kissed the photo lightly. What was he going to do? Hermione will be devastated once he tells her the news. He had no choice.
At the end of the day, he apparated home. Hermione had had the day off since it was a Saturday. He came through the door, with red and puffy eyes. He avoided eye contact with Hermione, hoping she wouldn't notice. She did anyway, of course. "Ron," she said. "What's wrong? Did something happen?" He nodded and took her into his arms. He whispered into her ear, "You know I love you, right?" " Of course I do. What happened, I won't be mad, tell me. " She said, concerned.
He caressed her cheek with his thumb and said with a sigh, "Harry and I have to go on a mission. Some Death Eaters escaped from Azkaban and we have to catch them. We will be gone for two months." Hermione looked into his eyes in disbelief. "No, you can't go! Please, I don't want to lose you!" She said with tears running down her cheeks. He embraced her and kissed the top of her head. "You won't lose me, I promise you that." He said, a tear rolling down his cheek. "But you'll miss Christmas! And New Year's! Please, don't go! I wanted to spend our first year of holidays together!" She said between sobs. "I leave tomorrow," he said as more tears ran silently down his face. "I'm so sorry, love. I have no choice." And with that, they went upstairs together, changed their clothes, and went to bed in each others arms.
The next day, Hermione watched Ron get ready. Ron walked back and forth. Once they got downstairs, his things packed and ready, Hermione had tears slowly streaming from her eyes. Ron took her into his arms and she buried her face into his chest. He whispered into her ear, "I love you, 'always' know that. You won't lose me, I'll always be here for you. I'll write you everyday if I can. I promise." "I love you too," she said with a sob. "I'm so scared of losing you." "I know." He said burying his face into her hair. They lingered in the moment and broke apart. He kissed her goodbye, went out the door, and aparrated.
He met Harry at the Ministry. Everyone who was going on the mission was ready to go. He couldn't stop thinking of Hermione. "So are you ready, mate?" Harry asked. He nodded and they all apparated to the campsite. Harry set up the tent while Ron sat on a rock with his head in his hands. Harry came and sat next to him after setting up the tent and asked, "What's the matter, Ron?" Ron shakes his head and says, "Nothing, I'm fine. Go back to the tent." "Mate, I know you miss Hermione, but we need to focus on the mission. Alright?" Said Harry. Ron nodded and Harry got up and went iside the tent.
Later, Ron, Harry, and the other Aurors were on broomsticks chasing Death Eaters. They caught two that night and went to bed, proud with their accomplishment.
After a few weeks went by, they caught five of the seven that escaped. After  month had gone by and Ron hadn't had time to write to Hermione. He was miserable without her by his side. By the end of the month, they caught all but one Death Eater who had gone into hiding.
One night, Rom was getting into bed when Harry asked, "Ron, can I asked you something?" "Sure mate, anything." Said Ron. "I need your blessing for the question I am about to ask." Said Harry. "Wow, must be important. What's the question?" Said Ron, raising his eyebrows. Harry sighed and asked, "is it alright if I propose to Ginny on Christmas?" Ron was shocked. Ginny was his little sister! Though he knew he could trust Harry with his own life, and his sister's as well. "Yeah mate, you have my blessing," he said finally. "Really? Harry asked, sounding surprised. "Of course, I trust you with my life. She obviously loves you and trusts you also. Go ahead." Ron said. "Thanks, mate." Said Harry.
The next day they had caught all of the Death Eaters. They were able to go home the next day. Ron knew Hermione was in for a surprise.

Author's Note: Thank you for reading! Over the school days I will be writing during school and posting once I get home. On Friday I will be going on a field trip and won't be able to write until I get home. Thank you for understanding. Comment your opinion on my story and vote please! - Hermione_Weasley