Nine

Zek lowers his hulking frame onto his throne and pats his thigh

Zek lowers his hulking frame onto his throne and pats his thigh. "Come, pet. Let everyone get a good look at how exceptionally sweet you are in pale pink."

I close my eyes to hide them rolling. There was a time when Zek treating me like his lap dog embarrassed me. He always beckons me like a well-trained animal and then glides his palm down my hair, petting me. My cheek used to burn, and I would bury my face against his chest to hide them from the amused onlookers. I soon learned that was a mistake. They mistook my embarrassment for affection, goading Zek on to see what other ways I would wrap myself around him. They want to see me gravel, desire to watch me make a fool of myself. But mostly, they revel in the idea that I would deny the bond I have with another and beg for the affection of their king. Never again will I give the shifters a reason to believe that is possibility.

I climb the dais with the impeccable posture Borin spent hours refining with me. Easing down on Zek's knee, I arrange the long strip of thin fabric between my legs and clasp my hands in on my thighs. He pulls me back, and the broach at my hip digs into the bone. I hiss and hold the two strips running down my torso in place, making sure my breasts remain hidden from curious eyes.

Zek runs his hand along my hair until my head rests on his shoulder. "I've missed showing you off, Elle," he whispers, his breath warm against my ear.

"The sentiment isn't returned," I mumble.

He clicks his tongue, and my gaze darts to his. With his fingernails gliding along my scalp, he takes in the expressions of those staring at us. His chest vibrates with a low rumble as he says, "Are you telling me you don't miss the audience of a court? Look at the lust in their eyes. They may show up every day to please their king, but they also come hoping to see you. I can practically see the filthy thoughts they have about you. All I would have to do is eliminate one pesky rule, and they could have their way with you."

"You're disgusting," I hiss.

"It might be entertaining to watch them fuck you right here on the floor."

"I have a better idea; I can show them what it takes to castrate a king."

His fingertips go from soft to sharp, his talons digging into the tender flesh of my thigh. "Too bad you're a powerless, frail Cyffred again. I'll peck out your eyes and rip your heart from your chest before you can lay a hand on my well-endowed cock." He lifts his hips under me to emphasize his point, and I squirm to move away. "Come to think of it, I'm sort of sad that you are no longer a challenge for me. I'll just have to find other ways to toy with you. I can always give you to Nikko."

From his place next to the throne, Nikko snickers. His beady hazel eyes sear into me as his tongue peeks between his firm lips to wet them. I rip my attention away from him and stare ahead, not bothering to reply. Zek wants a reaction to manipulate, and Nikko is all too happy to help him get it. We've played this game several times over the past weeks. Zek says the most repulsive things he can think of, and Nikko flashes little signs, showing how happy he would be to act them out. I will my body to pretend it's made of stone and hide any show of emotion. The last thing I want is for them to believe they are winning. But they are.