Epilogue - Raelle

I shake my head at the partygoers who have overtaken the palace ballroom

I shake my head at the partygoers who have overtaken the palace ballroom. The endless wine and ale have lowered inhabitations, and many of them have given into the beat of the drums and the merry singing of the fiddle. They spin in their finest clothes while twirling the colorful ribbons that once decorated the walls over their heads. Leading the mayhem are my husband's most trusted advisors. They have no regard for decorum. It doesn't matter that they are the Allaji queen's fiancé or the royal strategist. They couldn't care less that they rank high in Pliris' army. And obviously, it doesn't matter if they are the queen's parents. Tonight, our kingdom celebrates the end of a cruel era. All over Pliris people are coming together as equals who are free to live out their lives however suits them and our kingdom best. I might feel inclined to join them if I hadn't lost sight of my favorite dancing partner.

Let it be known, the king of Pliris hasn't lost his knack for orchestrating a stealthy exit strategy.

"If you keep searching for Kyron like that, people are going to question my tutelage. What type of queen feels lost amongst her subjects without her king?"

A hearty laugh bubbles from my chest. I bump my shoulder into the man beside me. "Perspective, my dearest Borin. I'm not a queen in search of her king, but a parah who misses the company of her other half."

He hums while straightening the lapel of his maroon and gold jacket. "A perspective I wholeheartedly sympathize with."

"As I knew you would."

Borin turns to face me. A deep line forms between his brows, and his dark-brown eyes soften. "Micah and I told you countless times about how proud we are of you. But this, Raelle." He sweeps his arm in front of him, gesturing to the joyful faces all around the room. "This was his dream. You accomplished what he believed only you could do, and it would have been his proudest moment."

"And what about you, Borin? Have I made you proud?"

A tear slips from his eye and leaves a glistening trail down his face. He runs his finger along the dark red ruby in the center of my crown and traces the swirls of iron around it. Slowly, his lips pull into a rare smile. "You have, precious girl. No doubt you will continue to make me proud as my queen."

I position one foot behind the other, spread the sides of my black and silver skirt, and lower my head. "It is my honor to work to do so, your grace."

He hooks his finger under my chin and lifts my head. "You bow to no one, Your Majesty." I nod and he pinches my chin. "Your parah is in the gardens looking... contemplative."

My brows raise as I repeat, "Contemplative?"

"Take it from a man who was married to a king, those are the moments that they need their partner the most."

"Thank you, Borin."

"You are welcome, my queen."

I slide past the dancing bodies, following the back wall to the double doors. Some eyes turn my way, but no one stops me as I slip outside. I follow the winding paths through rose bushes and trellises of night blooming jasmine. The life-size marble statues guard the sleeping blossoms. Soft floral perfume floats on the cool spring breeze and fireflies sparkle just above the low hedges. The gardens are the sort of place that creates its own magic.

I continue on, ducking under the branches of the wisteria trees and weaving through the orchard lining the back of the property. The temptation to turn around almost sways me, that is until I reach the furthest wall. Hidden in the vines, a door stands open. I step closer and glance inside. The narrow passage is just how I remember and a lit torch on the wall acts as an invitation to enter.

I take the light and start my journey to the other side. I smile the entire time, knowing that it isn't a coincidence that this passage was primed for me to find it. At end, the door with the rusty hinges is wide open. I step through and lift the hem of my dress as I scale the rocks leading to the covered overlook on top.

Tall, sun-bleached columns support the domed ceiling, and a fire burns in the basin in the center. My shoes click on the slate steps as I walk underneath and cross the massive space to where Kyron stands. His black jacket lies discarded on a bench, with his black tunic rolled to his elbows. With his arms resting on top of the stone railing, he looks out into the Omnis. Strands of his ebony hair brush his forehead and his silver crown lies lopsided on his head. He looks so young, too young to bear the burden of an entire kingdom.

He eyes me as I slide in beside him, our shoulders touching as I mimic his stance. "Was it Rowan's terrible dancing or Ulric demanding everyone bow to the new Allaji king that sent you running?" I ask.

A smile pulls at his lips and his body shakes with silent laughter. "Couldn't I have just hoped that my absence would lure you away, so I could have you to myself?"

I lean in closer to him and whisper, "You could have just asked."

He fidgets with the wedding ring on his finger, spinning it in slow circles. "Where is the fun in that?"

I love seeing him like this, playful, happy, and carefree. The last half of a year hasn't allowed either of us much time beyond our duties as rulers. We've spent endless days in meetings with our counsel, awaking the gifts of the Cyffreds, and judging those who abuse their power. Some nights we eat dinner in comfortable silence and then fall into each other's arms as we drift into deep sleep, only to wake up and do it all again. It has been hard. Really damn hard to find a moment to ourselves.

"You know, if you would have just sent me home when I showed up at Basecamp, we could have avoided all the parties and hours of arguing with your mothers old advisors about how this kingdom needs to be managed. You could still be living the cozy life of a general." He shoots me a sidelong glare, and I fight back a smile as I continue to tease him. "All right, maybe not a cozy life but it would have a lot less bickering."

He turns around, leaning back on the rail, and crosses his arms. "No."

"No to the sending me home or no to the less bickering?"

He grabs my wrist and pulls me toward him. When I'm standing between his legs, he brushes a loose strand of hair behind my ear and says, "No to a life without you." As if reminding both of us of the promises we've made before the Statera and the bond we will forever share, he runs his thumb over my wedding band.

"Do you remember when I told you that the crown was heavy?" I ask.

"I believe your words were suffocating and crushing."

I did tell him that, and I meant it at the time. The responsibility of wearing the crown weighed on me. I didn't know how to hold my head high and keep it in place at the same time. Ruling was a task I thought I would never come close to mastering, not without sacrificing everything I wanted.

My hand runs down the center of his chest, lingering on the soft skin peeking above the undone laces of his tunic as I stare into his eyes. "It's not so heavy anymore."

"No?"

I lift to my tiptoes and brush my lips to his. "No."

"And why is that?" he asks, pulling my body flush to his and placing a trail of kisses along my jaw. I laugh as I hold his crown to his head and tilt my head to the side, giving him access to that spot on my neck that sends warmth pooling low in my stomach.

"Because I've chosen not to wear it alone," I say.

Kyron pulls back and studies me. The smile that consumes his face melts my heart. This is my Kyron. Not the king or the general. This is the true face of the man I completely adore.

"You are so strong, Raelle. You don't need me to carry that weight for you. But it is my life's greatest honor that you chose me to share that burden with you. I'll never let it bring you to your knees."

I place my hands on either side of his face and kiss him again. "That's good to know, because I only kneel for you, Kyron."

"And I only for you, my queen."