Thirty-Seven

"Wait!" Ulric holds his hands up and takes a step back from me

"Wait!" Ulric holds his hands up and takes a step back from me. "Are ya sure this won't hurt?"

I look at Kyron, who is leaning back in his chair at the dining room table. His arms are folded over his chest and an amused smirk pulls at his lips as he gives a shrug. He is the one who suggested I try out the stone on Ulric. I'm questioning whether he did it to ensure I am prepared or for entertainment during our meager meal.

This really should have been an easy task. What Cyffred wouldn't want to bring to life the power that has always been dormant inside of them? Most would have jumped at this opportunity, but Ulric's fear of the unknown pain is getting the better of him.

I sigh and plop down in the chair next to Terro. "I don't know. I didn't feel anything when it happened to me. Then again, I can wield the stone."

Greer fills her empty bowl with a second helping of stew and grumbles, "Suck it up, Ulric."

"I don't see you offering to be Raelle's test subject," Ulric shoots back, pacing between the small kitchen and the round table set for six.

"That's because you are the only Cyffred here," Terro says, holding out his hand where a small twister spins in his palm.

Ashavee slides out of her chair and steps into Ulric's path. She places a hand on his shoulder and says, "The first time I shifted, it felt like every single one of my bones were snapping in two."

"Your story isn't helping matters, m'eudail," Ulric says in a grim tone.

She places a finger to his lips. "But. The pain of the initial shift was worth it. My gift is a part of me. It gives me strength and confidence. I'm better because I know how to tap into it and bend it to my will. I have no doubt that it will be the same for you."

"My dear," Ulric says out of nowhere.

Ashavee furrows her brow and says, "What?"

"M'eudail. In the old language, it means my dear."

Kyron and Terro look at each other across the table and both of them press their knuckles to their lips to stop their laughter. I nudge Terro with my elbow and shoot Kyron a death glare as I mouth behave to them. They sink into their seats, but neither of them pulls it together. They may be deadly soldiers on the battlefield, but deep down, they can have the maturity level of teenagers.

"I'm trying to eat here. I'd appreciate it if the two of you could keep the nauseatingly sweet shit away from the dinner table," Greer says before taking another bite of the steaming broth.

Ashavee dips her head to hide her reddening cheeks, but Ulric has no shame. He kisses her knuckles and releases her hand before turning to me. "Go on, let's see if the stone works on me."

I stand and am met with an onslaught of nerves. It wasn't so bad when I knew Ulric had reservations about the Imperium, too. Now that he is all in with trying, I'm terrified that something will go wrong. If I can't pull this off, our people are at a great disadvantage against the Allaji. But if it works, we can combat them with the elements everyone is gifted. Granted, most Cyffred will not have perfect rein on their power, but at least it is something in a war we are currently slated to lose.