Forty

The walls of the catacombs feel like they are closing in on me

The walls of the catacombs feel like they are closing in on me. A small loyal group of soldiers has remained behind with us. The headcount can't be more than seventy-five. It's not nearly enough to face the shifters waiting outside these walls. I could order everyone into the tunnel, let them make their way to Lucent with the civilians, but the safety we will find there is on borrowed time. As soon as the Allaji realize we are no longer inside the sanctuary, it will be the first place they look for us. I can't put the lives of every child and elderly person we helped escape at risk.

I spin on my heels and my pacing comes to a halt.

Raelle has used the stone to awaken the powers of several soldiers. They were unable to hold back their excitement, capturing the attention of those around us. As the news travelled, Cyffreds have backtracked through the passageway and up the ladder to find her. She smiles at each of them as she lifts her hand to their chest and brings their gift to life. I no longer need to touch her when she does it. She has learned to wield the stone as if it were solely meant for her. In the matter of seconds, she can bring to life something that has never existed in an active state. Her ability to control the Imperium is remarkable yet concerning.

The excessive power takes a toll on her body. Her shoulders sag and her breathing is labored. I've attempted to turn people away, scared that this will be the time that drains her completely, but she insists. I understand her drive to push through the fatigue. This is what we set out to do, to give our people a chance to prevail over our enemy. I would do the same, but it pains me that she is sacrificing her strength when she will need it the most.

"It's astonishing what one will do for the promise of power. They will go against the current, risk their lives just to taste it," Borin says, moving in beside me while Raelle sets to work with the new group of Cyffreds crawling out of the first king's tomb.

I glance at Borin from the corner of my eye. "None of them will be skilled enough to effectively use it in battle. It's giving them false hope. They won't make it more than twenty steps beyond these doors before they are ripped to shreds. And those who do survive might wish they didn't when they learn first-hand what Zek does to our people."

Borin turns me to face him with a firm hand on my shoulder, his eyes boring into me. "Do not doubt the power of hope alone, my king. It is what kept you searching for Raelle until you found her. It is what made you discover a way to redeem her with the Statera. It fueled your determination just as it fuels theirs. You were unstoppable with nothing more than hope, and they can be too."

The truth of his words hits me square in the chest. The ache from it so intense that I have to force my reply through my tight throat. "I pray it's enough, Borin."

He tips his chin up, gesturing toward the tomb. "It is."

The line of people returning from our escape route is nonstop. Men and women, young and old. Something deep in my gut tells me it isn't just for the promise of power. They want a fighting chance to keep what is ours and bring home those taken from us. It doesn't matter that their gifts will be unstable; they just want the chance to fight on equal ground.

Greer and Terro are already briefing those who don't have military training, giving them basic tips for staying alive. Ulric works with a group of the newly gifted. Each of them holds their hands out calling forth their power. Some manage flickers of fire or ice. Others wield gusts of wind or bursts of light—the brightest coming from Abrum.

I lock eyes with Ashavee as she paces near the entrance of the catacombs. No one knows better that her about the time restraints we are working within. Her fidgeting fingers at her side tell me that she is eager to return to her more powerful form. She gives me a curt nod, and it is all the signal I need.

My voice thunders over the mumbled conversations. "If anyone doesn't wish to face the threat that lurks outside of these walls, this is your chance to leave."

Everyone falls silent as they search the room for those with an ounce of self-preservation. Not a single person returns to the tomb to escape. It appears I'm not the only one willing to face my death this night.

"Tonight, you will write your legacy in our history books," I say, meeting the steadfast gaze of the people around me. "This war is about more than our land, more than our freedom. We stand against the injustices inflicted on our people, whether it was by our hands or that of our enemy. No longer will we remain content in the chains of silence. On this night, we become our own liberators. Generations from now, you will be remembered as those who fought not only Pliris but for the restoration of the five kingdoms."

Hands and swords jet into the air as a roar of agreement tries to wake the dead.

Abrum steps beside me, his hands glowing with light as he bows at the waist. "It will be my honor to lead the battle, Your Majesty."

My neck whips to the side where Raelle stands with her sword in hand. All she has to do is say no and I will deny his request. She dips her chin, I turn back to her father and say, "I'll follow your lead, General Mansi."

He rises to his full height, and I pull him into my arms. The hug is tight...a firm request to make it out of this alive. We release each other, and he takes his place at the front of the line, marching soldiers and civilians out of the catacombs.

I fall into stride with Raelle at my side, and my three best friends at my back. We weave our way out of the underground resting place and into the hallways of the sanctuary. When we reach the grand hall, Abrum leads us down the center aisle as if we are not warriors but kings and queens.

He pauses at the double doors that separate us from our destroyed city. I pull in a deep breath and wrap my hand around Raelle's. She slides her fingers between mine. Her face tilts up to mine and her voice is low as she says, "I'll see you in the end."

"I look forward to it, princess."

The doors burst open, and the clanks and cries of war ensue.