Twelve

I jump into the water, my gaze trained on the small island ahead

I jump into the water, my gaze trained on the small island ahead. It's covered in lush trees beyond the dunes and shrouded in complete darkness. As I trudge through the knee-high waves, I scan the night sky for any signs of smoke or light reflecting off the clouds, but every inch of the galaxies is crystal clear. Splashes sound around me as the soldiers in my rowboat and those in the nine others jump into the water. As we pull our boats to shore, I hold my breath, hoping the stillness will help me see the smallest of movement in the distance. My stomach sinks when my feet meet the sand. What if we came all this way only to find the island deserted? It's a possibility I don't want to entertain.

"It's too quiet," Greer says, stepping to my side.

"Did I make a mistake?" I ask her.

She shakes her head. "Something's not right. The only reason an entire island would be silent is if something dangerous was on the hunt." She tilts her head toward two giant winged shadows, barely visible in the night sky. "The Allaji king is here and so is Raelle."

I don't know how she can be so sure, but I don't doubt my general. Greer has a keen sense for these types of things. More than once, she has changed our strategy in the middle of a battle. It is her prowess that has saved countless lives. If I'm walking our soldiers into a trap, she would be the first to notice. The firm set of her mouth and her unwavering gaze tell me that she believes we are on the right course.

I turn to the troops who have gathered in formation behind us. "Everyone split up. I want at least one Khiros in each group. Don't think twice, take out any animal you see. Raelle is your priority. If you find her, you're to give the signal and get her out of here. Do you understand?"

A chorus of Yes, Your Majesty joins the crashing waves.

"Maybe it's best if you go back to the ship and wait, Kyron," Greer says.

"Fuck that," I spit.

"This is dangerous. We know nothing about this island, and if something happens to you, those assholes who sit on your council will be fighting for the crown."

"Let them have it. If Raelle is here, I'm making sure she leaves."

Greer releases a breath that rattles her lips. She glares at the monstrous figure at the front of the line and says, "Keep your eyes on the king at all times, Cohn. If he so much as stumbles over a rock, you drag his royal ass out of there."

"Yes, General," Cohn says.

I open my mouth to argue but stop short. A faint voice calls out from the trees.

"Raelle!"

Greer and I fall silent and lock eyes. Several beats pass and the familiar country brogue calls for her again, this time followed by the wail of a wild feline. She's here alive and roaming the island.

"Go," I bark. "Find Ulric before he finds Raelle, and then the Allaji find them both. I expect two signals, one for him and one for her."

"Kyron?" The worry in Greer's voice pierces my heart.