Fifteen

My brother stands at the ship's railing with Ulric, watching as Piliris' port grows closer

My brother stands at the ship's railing with Ulric, watching as Piliris' port grows closer. He's taller and broader than I remember. Days training under the blazing sun have given his skin a golden glow and dark scruff covers his freckled face. It's hard to believe this is my little brother in a brown military jacket. He appears to be a grown man, but the wild wonder in his eyes speaks to his youth.

Kyron releases my hand with an encouraging nod. I move across the deck and lock eyes with Ashavee. She sits by Ulric's legs, her black on black spotted fur shiny and clean. I scratch behind her ear as I slide between Rowan and Ulric. Clasping my hands on the wooden rail, I take in the rocky coastline. The beige sand glimmers like diamonds are buried in its grans. Cliffs with grassy tops tower above the sapphire water. Never has anything in nature looked so beautiful.

"It's hard to look away, isn't it?" I ask.

Rowan's head jerks in my direction, his blue eyes wide. The biggest smile spreads across his face and he yanks me into his arms. I bury my face in his shirt and inhale the faint smells of home—Mama and Salone's lavender, the soil that clings to Ansley's red curls, and the wood and cinnamon I associate with Papa. I never gave up on returning to my family, but wrapped in my brother's arms, I understand how rooted the fear had become. Deep down I believed it might never happen. All it would have taken was one slip of the tongue or act of defiance, and Zek could have ended me. I realize now that every day I was balancing a fine line between life and death. It still feels surreal to be away from him. He tried to strip me of everything, to make me his toy. I prevailed and now I'm minutes away from a family reunion.

"I missed you," Rowan murmurs against my hair.

I step back to get a better look at him, soaking in the face that I've always known. When did he go from a little boy with a head of unruly brown curls to the soldier before me? Rowan liked to dig in the mud for worms and climb trees, and now he has pledged to protect our kingdom. He didn't grow up overnight, or even during the time I was gone. He was changing day by day, and I wasn't paying attention. I took him for granted, just like I did with every person who was a constant in my life. I'm sure he has done the same. Mama, Papa, Salone and Avery, our love for each other made us complacent, but never stopped us from caring and wanting the best for one another.

Gripping the back of his neck, I guide his forehead to mine and whisper, "You came to save me."

"After every brave thing you've done for our family, I couldn't stay behind and do nothing. I didn't care what I did to help as long as I was part of the mission that brought you home," he says.

I hug Rowan again. Words would never convey everything I feel right now. My emotions are a tornado wreaking utter chaos inside of me. My love for my brother spins and spins until I'm clinging to him and my gratitude spills from my eyes in a stream of tears. I hold on to him until the storm passes and only the gentle breeze of calm remains.

With a final squeeze to his biceps, I pull away. The ship's deck has filled with more people. They stand at the railing watching as home grows closer. Despite the blood staining their uniforms and the exhausted slumping of their shoulders, sparks of joy twinkle in their eyes. My gaze runs along them until it reaches the form standing at the other end of the ship. Compassionate brown eyes crinkle at the side as a wide smile spreads across a familiar face. My feet move at their own accord, racing to close the distance between us. Borin opens his arms and I fling myself into them.

"My precious girl, it is good to have you home," he says and places a kiss to the top of my head.

My body shutters as a sob rips from my throat. Everything he did for me, the sacrifices that not only he made but Micah too, and I failed him. With one swipe of my blade, I severed my claim to our kingdom and disgraced myself. I don't regret it. But I wish it didn't cost him days, weeks, years he could have spent with his parah. He gave his guidance to me freely, but would he have done so if he knew the outcome?

"I'm sorry, Borin. So, so sorry," I say.

He places his palms on my cheeks and pulls me away from his chest. His thumbs sweep under my eyes, wiping away my tears. "You have nothing to apologize for, Raelle."

"I let you down. Everything you taught me. All the time you invested in me for nothing."

Shaking his head, he says, "My time with you was well spent. You saw an injustice and sacrificed everything to stop it. That was the type of queen I hoped I taught you to be. It doesn't matter if you wear a crown or rule a kingdom. I'm proud of the woman you are."

My sad tears are taken over by happy ones. "Thank you."

"Besides," he tilts his chin and I follow his gaze to where Kyron stands, "I believe the king of Pliris is determined to make you his queen. So, my many hours spent teaching you royal protocol will still be useful."

"He's stubborn and non-compliant," I say with a chuckle.

"Much like another king who we both adored."

I nod. "He's a lot like Micah."

"That's good for us and Pliris," Borin says.

No one would have held it against Borin if he resented Kyron. It was the king's mother who set in motion the events that led to Micah's death. He could have washed his hands of this kingdom and lived out the rest of his life in peace somewhere else. My mentor has lost so much and still he gives himself to the betterment of Pliris.

I kiss his cheek and pull away with a smile.

"You are one hard person to find."

Whipping around, I find Greer standing with her arms crossed over her chest. "General Rojas," I say, bowing my head to hide my grin. "I'm sorry for the trouble. I'm sure you and your soldiers' services could have been of better use than looking for me."

"To be honest, it was nice doing something that didn't require me threatening the king with physical harm if he didn't get his ass in gear and start ruling."

"You threatened me once," Kyron says, stepping beside her.

Greer scoffs and says to me, "At least a dozen times. He forgets because he had taken to the bottle to drown his sorrows, and His Majesty has never been able to hold his liquor well. He gets really fuzzy in the head."

It's surprising that he would lose himself to reckless behavior. Kyron works best with well-calculated plans and all possibilities mapped out before him. He needs the security that control gives him. I suppose everything felt like madness to him when he couldn't find me and knew to do so would put his kingdom at risk of a war.

"I'm glad you were there to keep him grounded, Greer," I say.

She nudges Kyron with her elbow. "What's a best friend if not someone to kick your ass when your fucking everything up? But from here on out, you can deal with him when he is being a moody asshole."

"With pleasure," I say.

"Damn, I missed you, girl." Greer drops her bravado and pulls me in for a hug.

"We will dock in five minutes, King Kyron," a man in foreign clothes with a bushy brown beard says.

I move to look over the side of the ship and my heart gallops at the sight before me. I can make out the details of the docks, from the people going about their work to the rows of shops lining the street. The simple wooden structures with clay tiled roofs remind me of Lucent—humble, sturdy, home.

The ache that has lived in my chest for months gives way to fluttering. As the crew works to tether the ship to the dock, I will my feet to be patient. Every inch of my being is ready to be on solid ground and among my people. A warm hand slips into mine, and Kyron guides me forward.

The crew drops the ramp, and Kyron asks, "Are you ready for what comes next?"

"If you are with me, I can face anything," I say, smiling up at him.

"Then welcome home, princess."