Twenty

A gentle breeze brushes my upper back and the scent of honeysuckles clings to the morning air

A gentle breeze brushes my upper back and the scent of honeysuckles clings to the morning air. My body protests as I roll to my back, every muscle deliciously achy. Stretching my arms above my head, I inch my eyes open. The warm glow of sunlight shines between the heavy black curtains which act as the walls to our room. He left the section facing the bed open, giving us the most spectacular view of the stars as we made love throughout the night. I can't recall the last time it felt this good to wake up and face the day ahead.

Kyron shifts beside me, and I take in his sleeping form. One arm curves above his head while his other hand rests on his chest. I study the shield inked into his bicep—the Stigian and Lucent crests blended together. The tattoo was a representation of him. Now, something very similar is embroidered on the new banners flying throughout Pliris. My gaze travels to the black hair feathered over half of his face and his parted lips. I brush a strand away from his eyes and watch as his long eyelashes flutter just above his high cheeks. He looks more like a boy than a man who carries an entire kingdom on his shoulders.

I ease out of the bed and make my way to the washroom. After cleaning up, I return to our room and enjoy the freedom of not worrying about interruptions. The time spent with my family was well needed, but it came with a lack of privacy. In some ways, it wasn't much different from the Allaji palace. I never knew when I'd be summoned for some quality time with my parents or asked to entertain my siblings. The last thing I could do was walk around naked and bask in the morning sun.

Our room sits at the highest peak of the palace. Kyron had the walls removed so he wouldn't feel caged in and so he could always see the sky. From the balcony, one gets a breathtaking view of the northern mountains and the bay.

I watch the waves rolling on the sea and breathe in the fresh air. Kyron's tower should remind me of my prison in Allaji—the view of the sea and the terrifying height. But I've never felt so calm and safe. The flow of the water is gentler, and the air isn't as thick from humidity. The bustling city of Stigian sits on the other side of the palace, giving me the privacy, I crave. Up here, I feel like I've found the most peaceful place in the world.

I startle as a plush blanket is wrapped around my shoulders. A firm chest presses to my back and strong, callused hands move up and down my arms. I tuck my lips between my chattering teeth, realizing they very well could have woken up the entire palace.

"Good morning," Kyron says, his voice raspy with sleep.

"Good morning, Ky."

He brushes my wild hair to the side and kisses my neck. "Why aren't you in bed? You're making me question my abilities as a lover."

"Trust me, your abilities are outstanding," I say, tilting my head so he can get to the spot that makes my toes curl.

"That's good to know."

My eyes grow wide as a spiral of black shadow flows from his fingertips. I hold out my hand, beckoning it to me. It slides across my palm and a spark of excitement ignites inside me. It remembers me... still wants me. I spread my fingers, expecting the shadows to coil around them. It floats right by like smoke on the night wind.