Eleven

The merchant ship arrived hours ago, and the crew has been hard at work unloading it

The merchant ship arrived hours ago, and the crew has been hard at work unloading it. Ulric has spent every waking moment in the storage room with Ashavee. I'd like to say it's because he knows how vital weapons are to us, but I have a feeling it has more to do with a lack of companionship in the past months. He denies it when I broach the subject, adamantly denying he is attracted to her, but it's obvious. He spends too much time talking about how difficult she is, and at the same time, he gets a dreamy far-off look whenever she enters a room. I remember once thinking I wasn't attracted to the Stigian who took my father's place as general, and everyone in the five kingdoms knows how that story ended. Poor Ulric is on the same road of denial that will either lead to heartache or love.

While Ulric sorts through treasures, I make props to hide the fact that he and I can't shift. The materials I have to work with are limited, which has me doubting if I can pull this off. Sewing, bending, forming, I've worked my fingers raw. The ears I fashioned from a pelt are attached to a jeweled headband from my wardrobe. They are too pointy and sadly flop around, looking more like the dead carcass they are. The tail I confiscated from a taxidermied lion has turned out a little better. I pulled a thin wire from a bodice and fed it through the center. It gives the tail a more natural shape, and that's where its realism ends. When on, the appendage rigidly swings like it has gone into a state of rigor mortise. I can't even stomach looking at the nose and fury whiskered cheeks that we need to glue to our faces. The disguises are ridiculous and obviously fake to any Allaji who looks closely enough, so I'm banking on the animal scent to deter them. The scent we've yet to obtain.

Our plan is coming together as best it can. It is far from foolproof—the risk is extremely high—but it's worth the gamble. My gut tells me that Kyron is on his way, and we have a slim window to stop a war before it starts.

I skim my palm over the sheer ebony fabric I fashioned into an ankle-length skirt. Two ribbons crisscross down each side of me, holding the material in place and giving me slightly more coverage than normal. The light-weight material reminds me of shadows. Hopefully, it will do its job and camouflage me when Ulric and I are in the open.

Barked orders draw my attention to my window. The sun is sinking into the ocean, casting the busy docks in hues of orange and violet. The latest commandeered ship bustles with activity as Allaji and Outlanders strip it of anything valuable. They form a steady line that hauls food, art, and jewels to the palace. The countdown to our escape is officially under way.

I press my head to the cool glass, letting it ground me and still my racing thoughts. There is no room for panic or second guessing. I must remain calm and level-headed if our plan is to work. My eyes drift closed, and I find myself in silent prayer. What Ulric, Ashavee, and I do tonight is bigger than us. It is vital to the future of Pliris and the five kingdoms. If Zek has his way, my people will become his. And that taste of power will not stop with us. He will find a way to conquer one kingdom after another. We must pull this off and buy Kyron more time to stop him.