THREE - Why was he crying?

THREE

"We're things really getting worse?"  this was an answered question to both mother and I.

To me because, I knew things were out of hand already and to mom because she seems not to care if things actually got worst.

The situation was already worse. Since the previous night, Peculiar hasn't stopped crying and for the first time since the strange thing happened - mother was tensed, she was worried.

'Why is he crying?' We couldn't figure it out. He was just impossible to understand. It felt like he crafted this special day to let hell loose.

I ran helter-skelter even though I didn't like him. I knew deep down he was my child and I better accept it. 'How do I tackle this?' Oh my, this was driving me insane.

Mother rubbed and massaged his back but it wasn't working out. Her efforts were abortive. I could tell she was becoming impatient.

Instead of decreasing the pace of his disturbing voice, he increased it. It happened between split of seconds and before I could say Thomas Edison, his voice echoed within the building walls. I stood mouth agape, my ear drums vibrating from the effect.

Mother's spectacle broke and glass windows exploded leaving tiny crystals on the marble floor. Mother was provoked.

This was just the height of it ( she felt like kicking some ass). If only his ass was big enough! Maybe this was a terrible dream, I comforted myself as I slumped on the couch.

Mother gathered the broken glasses, sighing each time she came across one. I kind of felt sorry for her. She sure was depressed.

My head started aching due to his continuous crying. Just when we had given up, it crossed mother's mind like a flash of light and before I knew it, she'd be feeding him he herbal milk. Was milk his remedy but then it wasn't just an ordinary milk.

She wasn't willing to talk about it either. Soon I heard someone snoring and felt betrayed. How can mother sleep in this kind of situation? I was really going to wake her up until I realized peculiar was actually the one snoring. Really? The herbal milk did work!.

I closed the door and went over to the dinning table. Looking at the meal, I shook my head. The food had been there since morning. I guess I didn't realize how time flied.

And besides when did mother get time to prepare noodles? Who'd be chasing rats when his house was on fire? Was that also applicable to mom, I doubt.

************

Finally my nerves relaxed and my high temperature dropped after taking some peels. Mother was taking a shower.

I drowned in my thoughts. 'what really was Peculiar's problem? Why was he behaving all weird and mysterious?' I couldn't get it. I remembered vividly that I had asked for a wonderful child but Peculiar? He was just not it.

Peculiar was never I'll or is this an abnormal illness? It was so strange. He'd hurt me but I just couldn't stop myself from worrying and crying.

I wondered why such calamity would befall such a handsome child at an early age. Come on! He isn't even up to 5 months, yet he talks and shouts?

Tears dropped down my eyes as I wrote in my diary. It really hurts to write your pain. I'm 25, a young mother and my first offspring was paranormal. I wondered why this was my fate - to suffer? Was someone after me or what?

Fate is cruel!

Most times I heard mother sobbing, she pitied me too. She did pretend like it was nothing but it's her grandson we're talking about here. She was definitely bothered but choose to pretend.

Then I thought, we could find a solution though. This can't be the end of the road, certainly not for me! Mother objected to my dismay. She'd blab one thing or the other to change my mind. Saying I was trying to make my problems public.

"Who does that?  Is that really what you think? In this condition? Your reputation matters?" I was dumbfounded. She never ceases to surprise me!

"hey calm down. Don't get me wrong, all I'm saying is this isn't the right time. Your son is normal. Just see this as some sort of quiz challenge that would pass by." She replied turning on the AC.

I sighed in disbelief. How dare she compare my predicaments with an ordinary quiz? Unbelievable! I just walked out on her. She called after me.

"Nancy Nancy Nancy! Don't you dare Walk out on me!" she yelled. But I was long gone.

Peculiar was still snoring.

**************

Prayers were obsolete as I had loosed faith. I wondered where all my efforts were leading me to - no where. I Felt like a pilgrim in search of a holy place.

I was looking through the window. Weather was cloudy and I concluded it would rain buckets tonight. Thunder accompanied by lightning followed. I feared Peculiar might wake up. I just wasn't ready for his troubles at least not this night.

I remembered when Nelson and I were at the roof top. We'd count stars a lot, it was fun. We count the third one as our baby. The thought of having a child made my cheeks red but now, I have Peculiar, I wasn't quite sure of my feelings anymore.

The baby took away my dreams, aspirations, efforts and love. I was beginning to hate everyone around me. Maybe it was emotional depression. But mother was exceptional, she was all I had left and she was supportive when it had to do with him.

She was annoying though and I sometimes incurred my anger on her and I was really sorry. Like really sorry. The child was my problem not hers.

She once said I resembled my father and I felt like it was a coincidence that peculiar actually resembled his dad too. Then it got to me - the two dads never got to see their child but left their faces with them.

"why?"

The rain started. First with a drizzle and then with high force. The wind howled and the windows rattled in response.

I stood up to close the windows, this was going to be a long lonely night.

_____

What do you think of Peculiar so far? And Jeannie? Her mom?

Remember to vote and comment too! Lots of love from me😍😘.