FOUR - Did he sleep to death?

FOUR

I was tensed. I panicked around the house like a rat chased by a cat. Cold shivers raced through my spine and I felt like urinating - actually it was the 5th time In 2 hours.

"Could he have slept to death? But he was still breathing. Dead people can't breath." I felt like I was going to lose him. Mother went back to her old ways - always not worried and saw calming me down as a - no big deal.

My temperature was higher than normal and if I actually had molecules then they were already vibrating.

It was actually 12 noon which makes it the second day and peculiar was still asleep, his snoring increased as he slept.

I sat at the window close to his cot. I watched him sleep as I cried silently. I only wished he did open his eyes.

"Was it because of the herbal milk?" I took a quick glance at mother and shook my head in disapproval. Mother was busy with her knitting project. She had planned to knit about 15 wears before the month elapsed.

She was humming a song and concentrated on the fabric in her hands. She looked less worried. I shifted my gaze to the mirror, I looked weary and worn-out.

I glanced at mother again and then to peculiar again. He was just like a little prince waiting for a true love kiss from his princess. I walked up to the family pictures of I and Nelson, the wedding photos. I stared mindlessly at the pictures and wished I'd turn back the hands of time. I wished I were barren and never got a baby like Peculiar. He was giving me much troubles. Even in his sleep,he still made a noise - his snores were like that of a giant.

Mother hummed to the rhythm of his snoring and I detested it. My eyes caught the glass case wedding ring, my hands went for it. I had removed it 2 months after Nelson's burial. The sparkle of the emerald ring made me remember Nelson, the very first day we met.

That blessed day, I and Beatrice my course mate were heading out of the lecture room when I accidentally bumped into a handsome dude whom I later got to know was Nelson. Beatrice was one of my girlfriends that called me Jeanie instead of Nancy like mother did.

As I bent to gather the scattered books, our eyes met and there was this sensation I felt. I wasn't sure what it was but that definitely led us to the alternative. I swung my hands as I walked around the room like a jungli.

Then I noticed something, something that had been absent for a while now. Something I had gotten used to for the past 2 Days - Peculiar's snoring sound. He was no longer snoring.

"Is he dead?" I ran towards his direction. But alas! He was still breathing and to worsen the situation - he was also smiling.

That's it! I'm done. I ruffled my hair angrily in disbelief. This is driving me insane.

I wondered what he was smiling at because his eyes were shut and he would definitely not be smiling at me. I stood, staring like a moron.

Once or twice mother had come to check on him and to my utmost dismay, she wasn't surprised that he was still asleep and upon that -  smiling. I smelt something fishy and decided to question her - like never before.

She was about taking a nap as I intruded her privacy. I knew it was risky to disturb her peace but the biggest risk was not taking any risk at all. I poured out my unanswered questions at her. Her attitudes got me confused and I wouldn't take it anymore.

"Mom, I need an explanation. What's going on?" I asked staring at her sleepy eyes. I just can't be living in misery all my life.

I'm done staying in the dark!

She snubbed me. I didn't mind instead I was more persistent.

"Mother I know all isn't fine. Can you just tell me the truth? Is all this in any way my fault?"

She still didn't reply.

"Can you at least say something. I'm going insane. What's with this your worriless attitudes. Do you know something-?" I yelled pulling her upper arm.

She cut in with jeers, " What are you insinuating? That I'm responsible for his abnormalities? Just back off my way!". She laid her head on her cozy pillow.

"Well I don't care how you feel. You don't even care how I feel. What more do you know about me? You think I'm fine and cool with all these?" I cried looking towards peculiar, "You're all the same, you, peculiar, all the same! Just tell me what's going on else-"

I received a slap for the very first time in my life - the very first time. I was shocked. Looking at her, I saw the fire in her eyes. I did blame myself since I knew she didn't mean to hit me. I had pushed her to the wall, I was being unreasonable by throwing those questions at her. How could I say such to someone who had been there for me all these while?

I didn't need anyone to tell me that my presence despised her. With  repentance, I left.

From the window, I could see a poor helpless woman, standing beside her bed - she was weeping.

______

I'm literally sobbing. This chapter was kinda emotional 😭😂. Hope you enjoyed it?

Thanks for reading! And don't forget, SVC!