THIRTEEN - The unknown.

THIRTEEN

Wow! It happened so fast. Things took a new turn one month later. Peculiar changed unexpectedly. It was as if all my prayers had been answered and for once I felt like a real mother, nursing an infant. I just can't tell how it happened but I'm glad it did.

Peculiar had lost his paranormal characters. His walking, speaking.... All gone. He had become a sweet loving baby, always smiling at the world and laughing at silly jokes.

But one thing troubled me and I cared a lot about it. Mother was against my close relationship with peculiar. She had this assumptions that he was still bad and filled with pretence. 'A wolf in sheep's clothing.' she called him.

"Mind not his looks," she yelled at me as I tried defending my baby. My normal baby.

I just didn't know why she was always against my happiness. I had been asking her desperately for solutions but she offered none and now she's showing me attitudes. Why is she like that?

Day and night, I knew I cried for help and now I had gotten one but the one person I loved the most was against it.

What did she really see in Peculiar that makes her act hostile towards him? Isn't he her grandson? He is good now, can't she just accept it?

I decided to overlook her decisions and see her as being too safety conscious. Maybe she was just conscious of the unknown. But what unknown?

**************

I sighed as I rested on the sofa, Peculiar in my arms. We've just returned from a successful visit to the last place I wrote in my jotter. The one about what I did do with peculiar when he gets better.

I had fulfilled the promises I made to myself and was glad. We were both tired and needed rest. Mother wasn't even comfortable with the idea of me taking Peculiar out.

Without letting me have a glass of water after I put him to bed, she stood in front of me like a ship captain.

"You should listen to me," she said, "remember when I said there weren't solutions for Peculiar at least for now?"

I nodded clearly remembering her statement. Something that made me confused.

"That was because it wasn't the right time to tell you. He wasn't vulnerable then," she explained.

"Vulnerable?" My brows raised.

"Yes. There was nothing we could have done with him in that state. Now he's vulnerable since he's loosed all paranormality. This is your chance." she stated.

"chance? For what?" I was really confused.

"To save yourself."

"Myself? Am I in danger?" I asked staring at her eyes with confusion. 'what is she even saying? She's not making any sense.'

"You would be in trouble if you fail to adhere to my advice. Kill peculiar!" she said plainly no feelings attached.

That rang like a bell.

To me, time paused. I stared at her. Looking at her eyes fearfully trying to check if it was my mom still standing in front of me. Was she okay?

"I should kill my son? Why?"

"I know you've grown fond of him but that's the only way you can escape the curse. He must die by next week!"

Still ringing bells in my ears.

I was just mopping at her. She continued, "If by the time he's a year old and has not been eliminated by you, then be rest assured to live a life of misery." She paused for a moment, "All your life." She added.

"So?" I gulped. It still wasn't making sense.

"If the first child of the cursed woman isn't eliminated by her then the rest of her children would be abnormal and return in the same form as the first - dying when they strike one after causing so much pain to their mother. If you really love yourself do it." She spoke softly this time, holding my hands.

I sighed looking at her hands on mine. "I need not worry because peculiar is normal now. He has changed it," I tried convincing her too.

"Believe you me when I say it's pretence. It's part of the game. They cause so much pain and when they notice that their family is seeking solutions, they become good only to die and return for another torment." She concluded.

"But I just can't kill someone, mother. It's murder. I can't live with the guilt."

"Kernel!" she spoke, this time with emotions as she caressed my cheeks, "Just know this - he would eventually die if you don't kill him. Which would you prefer - killing him and ending all these or letting him die of his own accord only to return and torment you? It's your choice dear."

Then she left.

I just didn't know what to do. She really does love me. I looked at Peculiar from the door and doubted if mother was actually saying the truth. He looked so angelic.

Tears filled my eyes and I shed them out. I couldn't help it. I sat down there in front of his door wishing I'd close my eyes and on opening them, I wouldn't have to kill my son. It was torture.

I concluded mother was fabricating stories just to do away with Peculiar. But why would she?

'He can't be pretence' I lied to myself.

__________

Hi guys

Sad. This chapter is too sad. But I'm glad Jeanie still had a perfect time with Peculiar, don't you think so? Well let's see how it goes. Would Jeanie accept her faith? Or try to change it?

Please vote, share and comment on this novel. It really means a lot. Thanks guys and stay happy. Always.✌️✌️