SIX - The truth.

SIX

"She wanted to apologize," I thought but the look in her eyes made me think otherwise. As she walked in, her eyes were teary and she let them out freely. I couldn't withstand it and I cried too, not knowing why though.

For some days now, my house has known no noise. Peculiar was finally awake and I prayed he maintained quietness.

"I'm really sorry kernel," and for the first time since I could remember, mother addressed me by my first name.

"I really didn't mean to keep it away from you. The sins of my youthful days have finally caught up with me." She lamented in tears.

I stood up. I was startled and blank. 'What's mom saying? Was she involved in some evil conspiracy or what?'

I finally managed to talk, "Your words confuses me. I don't have time for pranks (I thought she was playing a prank on me) especially now that I am relieved of peculiar's trouble (at least for now). Please stop beating about the bush," I begged.

But mother wasn't listening. I could read her mind, it was written all over her - this can't be a prank. She felt pathetic for this one action she had done. What was that??

I looked at her eyes, the tears poured out more and she kept on sniffing. I sat close to her and held her palms, "Talk to me mom, you know I will always be by your side even if the world rejects you. Is something wrong?" I comforted her.

She looked at me with an I'm sorry expression. She was about spilling the beans, her bulgy eyes filled with tears could tell. She cleared her ageing throat and began.

"The African deity choose me. They said I had killed my parents on my arrival and therefore would have to serve them. I was treated like a goddess and most people said I was cursed. They said serving the gods was my punishment. I wouldn't live a normal life," She paused as she tried wiping her nose.

That's right, mother is from Africa, I'm sorry I didn't mention that before.

"They respected me though but I was discriminated. I wasn't expected to join social gatherings. All I did was devote myself to performing duties for the gods. I was a deity not to be defiled."

My eyes widened, "Mother went through all these fetish traditions?" I felt pity for her and tightened my grasp on her palms.

"That wasn't the life I wanted. I needed consolation but got none. My life was no different from that of a monk. I lived like that for 18 bad years. Then your father came," She looked at me. Even though she sobbed, I could hear her clearly. I signaled her to continue.

"That day, as usual no one spoke to me but I heard his voice behinde my back. I wondered if really he was actually talking to me. Turning around, I was stunned at his handsome face and light skin. I later understood that he was a foreigner and had come for a business trip. He said I was beautiful and for the first time I felt loved. He asked that I married him, my people were against it. They kept on chanting that I belonged to their gods. Charles and I paid deaf ears to their threats and warnings. He was all I ever wanted though he wasn't a negro like us. My people called him - that white folk," then she chuckled amidst tears.

"That night, I gave it to him. My hymen was right on his white colored blanket. He promised me love and he fulfilled it. They found out and I could see the fury in their eyes. For the first time they rained abuses on me and prayed the gods punished me. I couldn't live with their hatred anymore and so I fled to Australia with my love. Now I regret my actions, now I feel they were right." She wailed the more and I tried rubbing my hands on her back. I could feel he pain too. I myself couldn't control my tears.

She continued, "soon I realized I had you in me and your dad cared a lot. He showered me with so much love that I soon forgot my bitter life experience. Then on the night of our ivory anniversary, it happened - I got the bullshit news that Charles was dead while on the hospital bed with you in my arms. I broke down. My liberator was gone. It was just to much, How was I supposed to train you alone? If only he saw you grow his death wouldn't have pained me to the marrow."

She took in a deep breath and continued again after studying my expression, "I took care of you as a single mother and was perturbed by the curse - your husband would never get to see his child, their words rang like bells into my ears after many years. It was torture. I'd hope their second curse wouldn't come to pass and it never did. I was relaxed and yet regarded Charles's death as natural and their beliefs as fetish...."

"I'm sorry dear. I didn't know the curse .... It has caught peculiar." she bursted out crying. Her knees were on the floor pleading for mercy.

I shifted from her as I finally realized it was never my fault. I was frustrated. "And Nelson?" I asked just to be sure.

She nodded, "I'm really sorry."

I looked at her. I was now mad. She knew what the problem was and yet she kept it? Was that why she was all nonchalant? She made me think I was responsible for it. Why would I suffer her curse?

Looking at her I spoke, she could see the furry in my eyes. "For 25 good years, I've lived in Mysteries. My birth is a Mystery, Peculiar's condition a Mystery, Father and Nelson's death a Mystery. I have been living a Mysterious life all these while. And you never cared to tell me until now? Why now? Why?" I yelled as I pushed her out of my way. It really hurts to know you are cursed .

I was furious. I had every reason to be angry at her. Was it because she lied? Or because she kept secrets? Or even because I was cursed, thanks to her?

I walked slowly towards her and brought myself low to look directly into her eyes. She was still on her knees in tears. "Why didn't you tell me? Why? You've always preached against lies! You lied you knew nothing. Everything about you are lies. This house is filled with fallacies." I shouted pointing my fingers at her.

I was really angry I had given her a chance to tell the truth but instead, received a slap for the very first time. I walked straight to my wardrobe. I went packing.

"I hate you and God punish you if you don't finish what you started." I said pointing at peculiar who had a Loli pop stuck in his mouth. He was watching.

This wasn't good for him but I didn't care.

"I understand if -" mother wanted to speak but I cut in harshly, "You understand nothing! You don't understand my pains, my love,my life, just nothing! And I think this house is cursed too!"

She tried holding my hand. "Back off!" I yelled at her.

Full of vexation, I left with my bags and baggages but left my words behind - "don't you dare call my phone."

Now I was sure of the right option to take. The second one - leave the house and live.

I sought for peace while my house was in pieces. I cling onto my coat that had a detachable hood. Out I was on the clean tracks of the dark street - forgetting I had cars.

_______

If you think the other chapter was emotional, what would you say about this? Lol

By the way, I want to say thank you to everyone. ALL MY READERS!

I appreciate your love and support! Check out my second book - A mermaid's fake love. Give it a try too.

Your comments make me laugh and are a source of my inspirations. Love y'all ❤️❤️❤️.

On Pinterest - Hilz88
Web novel - philia Hilz
Novelcat - philia hilz.