11 - I'm Sorry

Walking out of the room she saw no sign of life before she saw a man down the corridor.
"Where is he?" She asked him as she supported her left arm.
He simply raised his hand pointing towards a guest room.

Walking towards the room she grabbed ahold of the door handle turning it only to find the door locked. Resting her head against the door she sighed as she turned sinking to the floor.
"Leave," she whispered as the guard bowed his head moving to another location.
"Baby," she said knowing he was still awake and hearing movement. "I know I have hurt you deeply. But please, you can't do this. We are too mature for this," she whispered. "I didn't want this," she said tiredly receiving no response.
"At least let me know you are okay. I can't go back there without knowing this," she said getting no response.

Gregory had been going through all the previous events connecting the dots. Stopping his pacing when he heard her speak as she tried to open the door. Stopping in front of the door he knew she was still there as she continued to speak.
He heard her chuckle. "It's funny how you broke down all my walls with that one sappy date," she whispered. "No matter how hard I tried to push you away. You were truly relentless," she said wearing a smile as she played with the beads on her wrist.

He looked down at his hand looking at the object of affection he too wore. "So arrogant," she chuckled.
"After the accident. I vowed to never feel weak or vulnerable and within a year I changed things around me. With the law on my side, I built an empire winning some of the most complicated cases. My circle widened and I knew I could go far as I delved into political cases. With them, in my debt, I knew the sky was the limit as I wanted to create order. Never again would the system shut out anyone who came seeking justice and help. But little did I know of the power I was attaining with the wives of the wealthy supporting me.

He heard her chuckle. "Men are all the same. Their wives wield more power over them if you know which buttons to push," she said wincing in pain as she shifted her sitting position removing the arm sling.
"I needed someone strong. Someone who could command a crowd easily. Eli brought your name up as I smiled having heard of how you were more than what met the eye. Everywhere I went I heard your name. So I did my own background check. And thus started moving my chess pieces as you rose up the ladder. Always answerable to one person when things got carried away.

"Our meeting at the cafe was purely by coincidence. And then I saw you there the following day. Again and again. Until you sat at my table," she smiled remembering the day he sat at her table hearing the door unlock.

"The day I got a glimpse as to how serious you were was the night I broke down over the phone before that whole horse accident even occurred," she said making him close his eyes as he recalled that night.

----

"So tell me why are you still single? I mean you are every man's dream," he said in a playful tone.
A light chuckle was her initial response as she slowly closed Theo's bedroom door.
"Who says I'm single," she said sitting down on the couch lowering the volume to the news channel.
"Hmmm, I want to see my competition. I will give them a good run for their money," he said.
"Is that so?" she said wearing a smirk.
"Trust me T. I never cook for anyone unless they are important to me. Ask around I rarely wine and dine, women, unless it's for business purposes," he said.

"Hmmm," she simply hummed.
"Tell me something. What is your ideal man like?" He asked making her smile in thought.
"My ideal man," she said out loud in thought making him smile. "A man who is tall," she said.
"I'm tall," he commented making her laugh.
"A man who is hard working," she said.
"I work very hard in everything," he said his voice deepening.
"A man who has a vision and clear goals. Someone who achieves those goals," she said clearly deep in thought.
"I always achieve my goals my dear," he said before stopping her from further speaking. "Let's simply conclude that I'm your ideal man and skip to the next chapter," he said wearing a smile as she laughed at his conclusion.
"Let me be the judge of that. No need to rush to other chapters," she stated as he conceded.