Fifteen.

-Steve-

I was grateful that Candace still wanted to go see Vision Quest with me. I was still a little confused as to why she was so mad at me after the basketball game. I don't remember ignoring her after Nancy came up to us, but apparently I did and now she's mad. Well, she still agreed to go see a movie with me, so I guess she can't be too mad anymore.

I picked her up at 6, and she smiled at me and greeted me warmly. I greeted her back, matching her energy. She seemed to be in a good mood, so that was a good sign. Tonight, I was going to take a plunge in our relationship. I was going to ask her to go to Prom with me next month.

Every time I think about asking her to go to Prom with me, I just end up imagining how pretty she is going to look in a Prom dress and I lose focus. I still don't really know what I want to say to her when I ask her.

I bought us popcorn and drinks at the theater, despite Candace insisting on wanting to pay for her own snacks since I also bought the tickets. She and Robin have been talking about getting jobs at the new mall opening up in town once school is out.

The movie was interesting, it was a romance with some sports thrown in. It was pretty cute, actually. We left the theater, and I knew it was time that I asked her what has been on my mind for the last few days now.

I drove my car to the abandoned junk lot in town, and I dug through the glove box for the new tape I bought yesterday. I remember Candy saying she liked that new Madonna song that was in Vision Quest, so I bought the cassette and now I'm going to create a nice moment for us before I ask her to go to Prom with me.

"What are you doing, Steve?" She asks, her tone only slightly annoyed. I was used to that by now with her.

"Just trust me," I said, and I slid the tape into the player. The song began to play and I turned the music all the way up. I opened my door and walked to her door and opened it, asking for her hand. She rolled her eyes.

"You're a dork, Steve Harrington," she said, her tone sassy, but she took my hand anyway. We started slow dancing to the Madonna song. This was great practice for Prom, if I do say so myself. By the end of the song, I began singing along with the chorus.

I'm crazy for you

Touch me once and you'll know it's true

I never wanted anyone like this

It's all brand new

You'll feel it in my kiss

I'm crazy for you

She laughed at my singing, and I fought the urge to kiss her. I had to ask her now, while the moment was romantic and nice as it was. I pulled her as close to me as possible. "You look really pretty tonight," I tell her.

"Steve," she sighed. "Steve, there's something I need to tell you."

"Can I go first?" I ask, my voice was hopeful. I could hear it. "Will you go to Prom with me, Candy?"

She sighed again, "Steve."

The sorrowful look on her face didn't exactly give me the reaction that I was hoping for. "What is it?" I asked her, and I had a gut feeling that I wasn't going to like what she had to say.