Eighteen.

I woke up when Uncle Wayne got home, and he didn't ask me why I was sleeping on the couch. I heard him rummaging around for a second before he went into his room in the opposite direction from mine and Eddie's rooms. I fell back asleep quickly. When I woke up again it had been a few hours, so I decided to check on Steve.

When I opened my bedroom door, I expected to see Steve sound asleep, but instead I just saw a made up bed and the pair of Eddie's clothes neatly folded on the bed. I stepped closer, and I noticed a piece of paper folded in half. Steve had left a note and left it on top of the pile of clothes he left on my bed so I would find it.

Candy,

Sorry if I was a dick last night.

Thanks for the pajamas, and for getting me here safe.

I owe you one.

-Steve.

I have to admit I was disappointed. I was kind of looking forward to talking to him while he was sober. Now I didn't get that chance. He left without even waking to say goodbye. I felt so stupid. I broke his heart. He doesn't care about me if he thinks I don't care about him.

I looked outside of the window and I saw Steve's car was gone. He had totally snuck out, and I had no idea. Eddie was still asleep. So I got myself a bowl of cereal and I ate it slowly. I was less hungry the more I ate. I started to feel sick.

Uncle Wayne emerged from his room a few hours later, and I hadn't even realized that it was getting so late in the day. It was almost 2 P.M. and Eddie still wasn't awake. "Hi Uncle Wayne," I greeted him.

"Hey Kid," he greeted me back, "Was that the Harrington boy's car outside this morning?"

I nod, "Yeah, Steve was stupid and he drank last night. I wanted to make sure he was safe."

"Why not take him home?" He asks, and he pours himself a cup of coffee. "You know when I said you can have friends over while I'm at work, I was really talking about Robin. Not your ex-boyfriend."

"He didn't want to go home," I explained, "He's scared of his dad, even if he won't admit it. He told me his dad would kill him if he went home. I couldn't let him walk into that. I just wanted to make sure he was safe."

He sighed, obviously understanding. He knew how I felt about abusive parents. Even if it was just yelling. Abuse is abuse and if I can do something to help someone in a shitty situation I will.

"Well, I guess you did a good thing, and you probably saved his life driving him back here." He sat next to me on the couch, setting his coffee on the side table. "Now, as your Uncle and legal guardian, I have to ask; You're not having sex with this boy, are you?"

I fought the urge to laugh at him, "No, Uncle Wayne, I'm not having sex with Steve. I'm a virgin. I promise."

"Good," he said, and he nodded, "Sex is fun in the moment, but it complicate things beyond belief if you get attached to them. You're too young for that shit. It'll break your heart."

I sighed, knowing he was right. "Yeah I know."

Steve wasn't at school Monday or Tuesday. On Wednesday he was quiet, and he wasn't in the cafeteria during lunch. Robin said he was also very quiet in the classes they shared together. He was seriously depressed. It was obvious.