Spitfire and Serenity

Song: vintage autumn playlist by Odessa H

"Um, what's going on here?" Vincent asked, eyes ping ponging between the two of them in confusion.

They ignored him.

"Didn't realize I wasn't allowed to enter cafes now," Ambrose replied with an empty laugh. "Sorry, Cupcake. I'll make sure to get your permission before entering such esteemed establishments in the future."

Lilah's hands curled into fists underneath the table. His snarky attitude being directed towards her business was completely unacceptable.

She wore her best formal smile and stood tall. Not tall enough, apparently as she still had to look up at Ambrose. But her strong backbone would have to suffice.

"Welcome to For Goodness Cakes! My name is Delilah Carmichael but you can call me Lilah. We have a vast menu to choose from in terms of drinks and treats. If you're not sure on what you'd like to purchase then," she raised an arm and pointed at the barista. He nodded at Lilah, aware of who she was, and sent a polite smile Ambrose's way. "You can try some samples until you find something you like. We offer gluten free, sugar free, and vegan options if you have dietary restrictions. If you need any help, Cole or I can answer any questions you might have."

Ambrose narrowed his eyes into ocean slits. "What are you, the mascot?"

"No, I'm the co-owner," she replied, tone even and shockingly cold. This time it was Vincent with his mouth hanging open. He could count on one hand the amount of times he'd heard that tone of voice. "And I'm showing you how to properly welcome a customer into such an esteemed establishment. With respect and kindness. I thought I'd welcome you the way you failed to welcome me. A lesson, from owner to owner."

Ambrose chuckled and Lilah's blood boiled to see him disregard her so easily.

"What's so funny?" she asked through gritted teeth.

"I'm wondering when I asked for your opinion on how I should greet my customers." Ambrose frowned, pretending to think as he pressed a finger to his lips. "For the life of me, I can't remember caring enough to ask you."

Lilah stepped closer and Ambrose could've sworn that her midnight eyes darkened a shade or two. "Are you always this much of a discourteous ass?"

"Nah. I reserve this treatment for impatient people. The ones that call my shop shitty because they can't wait one damn minute for someone to help them." Ambrose's eyes blazed with a wicked fire as he stared Lilah down. "Sorry, Sweetheart. I know this might come as quite the shock for you. But not everyone in the world is gonna blow smoke up your ass. Or accommodate your better than everyone else attitude."

Lilah gasped, taking a step back in offense. "I don't think I'm better than everyone else!"

Ambrose raised a brow, dismissing her without so much as a reply as he turned to face Cameron. The young boy, as per usual, was sorely unphased by the entire interaction. He was used to seeing his big brother handle people like that. Whether it be meanies at the shop or Cameron's teacher after she insulted his intelligence. The colder side of his Bubba was no secret to him.

Cameron smiled his toothy grin. The haggard lines creasing Ambrose's tired face vanished.

"We got dessert!" Cameron exclaimed, holding up multiple small, brown bags stuffed and heavy.

Ambrose sighed, taking in Cameron's powder stained clothes and face. "And who bought you all that? Can't be you because your allowance got taken away now that you're grounded."