Old Lady Perfume and Confusing Relationships

Song: good vibes playlist by Mellow Sounds

Lilah huffed, setting down the overpriced perfume with a disgruntled groan. "It doesn't smell like the one Granny used to wear."

"I think I've lost the ability to smell," Patience replied as she came up for air. Her sharp face scrunched up when she felt a tickle inside her nostrils. Squinting, she turned away and sneezed loudly, feeling her eyes water. Wiping her nose with an embroidered handkerchief, she glared at her bashful cousin. "I hate you."

"I'm sorry." Lilah gave her best puppy dog eyes. It did little to sway the annoyed woman before her. She sighed, unstopping another glass bottle and took a whiff. "I had to bring you. You're the only one besides Mattie that remembers what Granny's old perfume smells like."

"So then bring Mattie," Patience muttered, stuffing her hands inside her dark coat.

"I can't." Lilah turned her head, letting out a small sneeze then shook her head. She put back the rancid perfume and sniffed another one. "She's still in France, remember?"

"It's been five days since the wedding." Patience smelled another floral concoction, face screwing up when she detected roses. "She should be home by now."

"It's Mattie," Lilah raised a brow at the blonde, "does she ever do what she's supposed to do?"

Patience smirked, fondly shaking her head. "I guess not."

An unwelcome shriek resonated throughout the store as a baby cried. Lilah winced, hating the high-pitched, shrill sound. Ten bottles and one dazed nose later, the crying ceased.

"Thank God."

Patience set the last bottle of perfume down with a slam. "Y'know how they should advertise birth control? Just play a full minute ad of that and the sales will skyrocket."

"Humanities population would plummet."

"Isn't it already?" Patience's sparkling blue eyes met hers. "The global population dropping is already in motion. The cost of living is high and people can't afford it." She shrugged, indifferent to the world's demise. "Better to happen sooner rather than later."

"Better to happen sooner rather than later," Lilah repeated blankly. She looped arms with Patience, dragging her outside and towards the next store. "You're more pessimistic than usual." She pushed her knitted scarf over her cheeks as a harsh winter wind blew over them. "What gives?"

"What gives? Says the woman dragging me all over creation in the coldest month for perfume."

Lilah jerked Patience inside with a sunny smile. "It's for a good reason."

"That you've neglected to tell me."

She laughed when Patience groaned as they closed in on the perfume section. Her chin rested on Lilah's head, making her feel like a dwarf. "Ok, it's for Granny—"

"I gathered that much."

"—but," she looked at Patience with a pointed stare, "it's also for Grandpa."

Patience paced beside the elegant setup. Her posture was perfect due to her mother's vigorous teachings. She looked down on Lilah and said, "Explain."

"I did some research. I found out that familiar smells can remind people with Alzheimer's of good memories." Lilah toyed with the white strips of paper offered to test the perfume. "And y'know how people with Alzheimer's don't recognize others after they've aged?"

"Mhm. They're used to seeing their family and friends as the younger versions they remember."

"Right. So I thought smelling the perfume again would help him remember Granny a little easier."