Sway With Me

Song: Jazz Tango by Pablo Ziegler Trio

Ambrose raised a hand to flag down the bartender. His eyes widened when he saw who was dressed to the nines in the 1920's get up. "Max?"

Max wiped the inside of a crystal glass with a bit of a smirk resting upon his lips. "Betty said you didn't know we were working tonight, eh?"

He shook his head. "I guess it makes sense, though."

"Saves time having to find new staff." Max set the glass down and leaned against the mahogany surface. "Plus it pays well so we can't complain." Max tipped his hat at Lilah as she settled into the chair beside Ambrose. "You look as beautiful as ever, Miss Carmichael."

Lilah lowered her eyes and the warm light caused her makeup to shimmer. "Thanks, Max."

The dark skinned man watched her for a second more, remembering the few stolen kisses they shared a year ago. Nothing ever came from it except a fleeting summer romance. Still, it was a fond memory for him that he liked to reflect on whenever her presence graced him

"So—" He turned back to Ambrose who'd been watching the quiet exchange. "What kind of bathtub gin can I get you two?"

Ambrose snorted, amused by the era's term regarding the illegal sale of alcohol. "They give you a script or something?"

Max's face scrunched up. "There's a whole list of things you gotta say every now and then to keep it realistic."

Ambrose half smiled, shoving his hands into his pockets. He shifted to stand closer to Lilah when he clocked Simon making his way towards them out of the corner of his eye. This guy just didn't give up.

Clueless to the incoming missile, Lilah eyed the hard liquor before her with a lack of interest. "Is there anything sweet I can drink? Something fruity."

"There's a few cocktails you might like," Max replied. "The Princess Kaiulani has gin, orgeat, lemon juice, and pineapple juice."

"Orgeat?" Ambrose mumbled, confused by the new term.

"French," Lilah muttered as she rested her laced fingers before her mouth. "Means almond liqueur."

Ambrose hummed, glancing at the top shelf liquor with intrigue.

"Buck's Fizz has champagne and orange juice," Max continued, missing the interaction. "The El Presidente is a mix of white rum, dry vermouth, orange curacao, and a dash of grenadine. It'll be garnished with an orange peel strip. Please don't eat it if you get super drunk later. The amount of people I've seen..."

Lilah giggled when Max rambled on about drunk people not listening to him. "I promise I won't be one of those people." Tapping her nails against the polished wood, she mulled her options over then chose. "The Princess Kaiulani. That one sounds good."

Max nodded then turned to Ambrose, shaking his luscious locs. "Ambrose?"

"Whiskey. Neat."

His father always did say that you could tell a lot about a man based on how he took his whiskey.

Did he take it neat? Without anything to dilute the bold flavor. Or did he take it on the rocks? Like a pussy needing ice to cool the fire of the alcohol to a more controlled taste.

When they got their drinks Simon pulled up on the other side of Lilah. "I'll take a whiskey. On the rocks."

Ambrose concealed his scoff by taking a sip from his glass.

"Enjoying the wedding?" Simon asked, shifting his gaze towards the stiff woman beside him.

"About as well as anyone possibly could. Given the fact that I don't know the bride or groom," Ambrose replied. Lilah let out a breathy laugh beside him then ducked her head to drink from her cocktail. "Are you enjoying the wedding?"