Know Your Fucking Place

Song: Powerful playlist by Aliven't

Lilah didn't blame her friends for switching tables, departing with discreet winks. She never told them the whole truth about what transpired between them. Only Vincent and Caius knew. She simply allowed them to believe what everyone else in the country club thought.

Their whirlwind romance came to an abrupt end when Simon made the decision to be a surgeon abroad. Doing God's work, helping the needy, all while leaving a heartbroken Lilah behind to mourn his loss.

Now that he was back there was no doubt in Lilah's mind that the rumor mill would be churning with burning theories. She knew everyone assumed they'd be getting back together. She'd be stupid if she didn't, given who he was.

Simon Darcy was arguably the most intelligent, successful man in all of Pennsylvania. He blew through school on an accelerated path, graduating at twelve. He entered college full time and finished five years later. At seventeen he enrolled in graduate school then started medical school a year later. By twenty one he was dating Lilah and healing the wounds Jason Radcliffe left behind.

At twenty two he finished and enrolled in what should've been a five year residency. Which, no surprise, he finished in three years. Then he jetted off to join Doctors Without Borders at twenty five after Lilah discovered his lies.

Now, three years later, he returned like they didn't leave things on the most sour note humanly possible.

"I actually came back last week," Simon said, lifting his glass to sip the expensive wine. "Celebrated my birthday with my parents. They're thrilled to have me back."

Lilah hummed, fingers grazing the stem of her near empty glass. "Happy twenty-eighth. Here's to many more," she replied dully.

Simon sat up straighter, chest puffing out with pride when their glasses chimed. "Thank you."

He refilled her glass. Lilah took a gulp. Her stomach churned. Simon unbuttoned his dark tweed suit, leaning back into the chair with a serene look. She knew this position. He was getting comfortable, reading her, preparing for a long, drawn out discussion.

Lilah sighed and drank.

"I've missed you."

Lilah bit her tongue, swallowing the urge to scream. Or, better yet, throw her drink in his stupidly obtuse face.

Simon placed his hands on his knees, aware of the abundant disdain radiating from his lost love. The old Simon would've folded right then and there. Maybe even ran away to France this time to avoid her lachrymose eyes and harsh words.

But the man before her was a different man. A changed man. He wasn't one to leave when things got tough. Now he faced his problems head on.

He'd come home not only to make amends. But to regain the woman he so stupidly lost.

Simon came home for his Delilah.

So he launched into all the good he'd done in the last three years. It'd been a hard time with tiring work. But rewarding nonetheless.

He saw her eyes soften just a tad. He knew they would. She never could shield her heart from someone that did good for others.

Yet they hardened just as quickly when their eyes met. Unyielding. That was something new about Lilah he hadn't noticed until now. It lit a fire in his loins and he leaned on his forearms, closing the distance between them.

"How very prolific of you." Lilah peered into the empty wine bottle. "Good to know you haven't been wasting your time all these years."

Simon frowned, quickly raising a hand and flagging down the nearest server. "Take away the bottle and bring new glasses. The Screaming Eagle Cabernet Sauvignon, will do. Please and thank you."