I Want to Die but I Want to Eat Tteokbokki by Baek Sehee

"You're just one person, and you're putting too much of the weight of the world on yourself."

"And even when you can accept that a stranger is in the wrong and you should move on, you're still deliberately making yourself responsible for correcting their behaviour"

"If we have a habit of judging people from a simplistic perspective, that perspective will eventually turn against ourselves."

"The moment you set out to be more empathic is the moment it becomes a chore. That would result in your empathy decreasing, if anything."

"It's good not to fake interest in things you're not interested in."

"Nothing frightens me more than the thought of someone mocking me while I suffer in pain."

"We despair and often gain new tools when we overcome that despair."

"It's a question of whether 'everything you ever wanted' was ever what you really wanted in the first place."

"Usually before a dream becomes reality, we tend to think we'll wish for nothing else if only the dream is realised."

"To give as much as you've received – and that's going to be a burden in the long run."

"There is no absolute good when it comes to relationships."

"Psychiatrist: It would be strange if you never thought of them at all. Because you were happy with them for a time. I don't think it's strange for you to miss them."

"how you feel about yourself is much more important than what your friends think of you."

"If I'm sad today I'll be happy tomorrow, and if I'm happy today I'll be sad tomorrow – that's fine. As long as I keep loving myself."

"The idea that a person loves you only when they're influenced by you – that in itself is an extreme attitude."

"That human beings are three-dimensional is perhaps my favourite thing to say. But it is also likely the last thing I will remember in a bad moment."

"your fears are disproportionately large compared to the actual danger. It's a form of obsession."

"Fear increases when it's something that you keep to yourself. Instead of suffering alone, it can often be good to share it with someone else,"

"The important thing here isn't whether you are being loved, it's how you will accept the love that comes your way."

"Your self-esteem determines how you feel about the sincerity of others."

"Life is all about getting better and getting worse and getting better again, so getting worse is a natural part of life and I just have to learn to deal with it."

"you can enjoy the freedom of your own thoughts. Instead of thinking, I must not have these thoughts."

"You're not hitting rock bottom right now. When we're sinking in water, it can be a relief to feel the ground beneath our feet, the rock bottom, because we know we can kick against it to rise again. But if you can't feel the ground in life, the fear can be overwhelming. So maybe it's good to find your rock bottom."

"Nothing in my grasp seemed precious or beautiful."

"I'm devastated if someone I like doesn't like me, and devastated when someone does end up loving me; either way, I am looking at myself through the eyes of another. In the end, I'm torturing myself."

"Sometimes, when someone tells me to 'Cheer up' when I'm going through a tough time, I just want to wring their neck. Just be there to hold my hand, be sad or angry with me, or if you've gone through something similar, tell me about it and say it will all pass eventually. That's empathy and communication and a kind of consolation that enriches relationships."

"I think I've realised that this constant internal fighting is never going to make me feel better about myself. And how exhausting it is to have the whole world's motivations and intentions bearing down on my shoulders!"

"I must stop expecting myself to be perfect. The best I can do is to learn or realise something new every day."

"That's how it is with the people I love. I love the light in their eyes, their passion and their courage in leaping into love. I've never loved anyone with half of my heart thinking, this is enough for me. As passive as I am, I share my everything."

"It's no use to hold on to the empty shell of a love that's past, to try to win back a heart that will never return, or to let your regrets eat you up from the inside . . ."

"When life becomes something one just lives through, when the demands of survival take up all of our time and effort, leaving no strength for any other demands, and when time rushes by drying up or rotting whatever we have had to neglect, expecting someone to carry on being the same is truly too much of a burden."

"My focus was on the coldness of others, and that left my life with no warmth at all."