Chapter 9

The next morning appeared as Dale turned around from his side of the bed to see that Chip  was still snoozing beside him, to his relief.

Since the memory loss incident also occurred at night, it had scared him even more to know that right after he had decided to take his nap, Chip had snuck off to the stakeout without him realizing that he was gone and got himself hurt with an amnesic concussion.

His fear for his safety got up to the point, to where he personally didn't want to leave his side without feeling like he'll disappear again for even a second without a trace. 

To some people, it's plain ludicrous to overthink like this all the time.

While others would consider it to be only caring and overprotective.

Particularly, if that person meant the whole world to you.

And to Dale, Chip was the only one he has left in his seemly large life that tends to be so empty when he's not around.

He then slowly turns his body around to face Chip, whose hand barely touched his by the tip ends, with their heads leaning close by an inch apart.

His mind began to wonder about a familiar subject that has been bugging him for quite some time.

I'm glad to see that you're alive.

I don't know what I'd do if you...

If we...never saw each other again.

Would things have gotten less complicated back then, if I didn't take that stupid Double Dale opportunity all those years ago?

Could we have still been so close as best friends?

Or would it just be the same....

Like how it is now.

Especially since you can't even remember the one important part of childhood together.

The day when we first met as little kids in a large elementary classroom.

Where it was just the two of us, exploring the world together.

Dale thought with heart beating rapidly and his eyes lowering down sadly.

He wished things could go back to normal already so that he can talk to Chip all about his worries but...it looked like that he still has a long while before even the slightest bit of recollection can come back to him.

Within a minute or so later, Chip then starts to stir himself awake from his longing sleep while looking directly at Dale with obvious concern on his face when he noticed some of the tension Dale is still pondering over.

"Hey, are you okay?" Chip asked in a tired voice while stretching out his arms a little. 

"I'm fine." Dale lied blankly before slowly sitting up from the bed and rubbed his head a little from the some of the stress that he was feeling from earlier.

"So, what do you think we should do first?" Chip asked curiously before getting up from the bed.

"I don't know. I think I outta check out that event hosting building in town near the Rockefeller Center that night of the stakeout and see if there were any other witnesses beside you, who can give a good description at the kidnapper that took the district attorney." Dale said while getting up from the bed as well.

"Sounds like a good plan. Just give me 5 minutes to get dressed and then I'll meet you in the car." Chip said while checking his closet for some clothes.