Chapter 14

Meanwhile, the ride home was treated as if they were a couple of kids who had shoplifted in the streets.

To which, Chip and Dale were scolded deeply for their actions.

But honestly, Steckler couldn't stay too mad at them for long.

She's just simply tired of having to excuse and cover up for what they have done over similar things like breaking and entering during many of the cases that they all shared together since the beginning of Monetary's disappearance with the bootleg industry.

"Jeez. What a mess. Now I have to report this to the commissioner about some of the trouble going on. And with the 'pony' people for crying out loud. Sigh. You're lucky they didn't press any charges or we'd be talking some serious problems here. I suggest you both just stay away from this case for now on until the whole thing is over." Steckler suggested

"But Ellie...." Dale tried to say before he was cut off, abruptly.

"It's Captain to you. And as an officer of the law, I'm only warning you that if you are to ever step foot on those premises again, you will both be going to jail for trespassing. I know you guys have helped out wonderfully in the past, but these matters are becoming more political now and if we don't figure out something soon, the feds could get involved. And I just don't want anyone else bothered with their time, filling out extra required paperwork along the way. So please, let the cops do their jobs." Steckler informed them sternly but at the same time felt bad that she had to be a little strict with them.

Seeing how these two guys happens to be her heroes, growing up.

But knowing how the system works as a cop, was somehow making it more difficult for her to be flexible with them without facing grim consequences.

"....You're right. We're sorry for causing you much trouble. It won't happen again." Dale agreed, nodding his head, realizing that she was just trying to do her job.

"What?!" Chip yelled out in high alert from the fact that Dale was taking the law's side.

"Chip. Drop it. We'll talk about it later." Dale warned him, hoping to not cause anymore
nuisance for Steckler.

————————————————————————

Once they reached to Chip's house, Steckler then pulled over to the side of the driveway

"Alright boys. You're home. Or at least Chip's place until he can recover more easily with that amnesia." Steckler told Dale as Chip immediately jumped out of the car

"Bye Chip. Have a good night." Steckler said, politely.

"Yeah. You too, lady." Chip spoke rudely before  storming on over towards the front door of the house.

"Oh boy. I'm sorry you had to hear that Ellie. Once he remembers everything. I'm sure he'll forget all about his attitude." Dale apologized.

"Don't worry about it. He's been through enough for me to even be bothered by it. But anyways, listen. I'm sorry for coming too strong onto you, earlier. I know you wouldn't do anything that could've jeopardize your careers but please just promise me that you'll both be more careful next time. I trust that you will make the right decision." Steckler advised him calmly.

"I promise. For now, we'll simply keep a low profile and wait for his memories to get better." Dale insisted.

"That's good. Then, I guess I'll be seeing you guys later. Call me if you ever need anything." Steckler said.

"Will do. Thanks for the ride home." Dale thanked.

"Anytime. Be safe." Steckler said while they both waved goodbye before Dale walks on over to the front door and unlocks the door for Chip, whose temper blew a fuse once he had entered inside the house.