Chapter 32

Lan Wangji

I knew this was a bad idea, damnit.

Looking at Wei Ying sending death glares to his father almost had me rethink my entire life choices. It wasn't often that he gets angry, even through his anger, he would push through with his sarcasm knowing that he has an upper hand against the person who stood in front of him. But his reaction right now was only expected.

Imagine being called back home because your parents had an untimely demise, mourn for them, set the tracks right and do what was needed, work day and night to revive the company that his parents almost drove to ground, only for one of the said parent's to stand in front of you, alive.

"Lan Zhan, you have exactly 10 seconds to tell me, what the fuck is going on." Wei Ying said, his voice razor sharp and deadly.

"I met him a few weeks after the funeral." I started talking, recounting how I came to know that Jiang Fengmian was alive.

*************

I had been working tirelessly for the past three weeks. With the Jiang's back in the scene, everyone seemed to be out of wits. Not that it affected us personally, I just knew that the political unrest was far more personal than it was professional.

Wei Ying and I have been meeting sometimes, whenever one of us can muster up the courage to talk to each other through messages. There was still a lot of tension between us, a tension that festered like an open wound for a decade. So much was left unsaid, so much was said that we didn't mean. All of it had festered into one giant ugly wound.

Ripping through the air and pulling me out of my thoughts, the mail alert called for my attention. With a jerk, I sat up straight and pushed the papers I was working on to the side. My chair made a gravelly noise as the wheels rolled on the carpeted marble floor, I came closer to my laptop and clicked on the mail notification.

It was a burner ID, the email ID consisted of nothing but random numbers and the subject said "urgent". It was suspicious, there was enough on our plates with the anticipation of our dear uncle and his colleagues making a grand appearance back in the scene anyday now, without notice. I wanted to track the ID back to the source but the way it was encrypted, it was impossible. Only the best hackers in the country could probably crack it, probably.

Not thinking much, almost assuming that it was a spam mail, I read it out.

Mr. Lan,
Please meet me in the burial grounds, the one outside the city. Where your aunt is resting.

The mention of my aunt caught me off guard, it wasn't something that everyone knew. Maybe a few people in the circle along with me and my brother. Even uncle didn't know where she was buried.

This had to be someone who knew about it. It might as well be a trap. Moreover, I don't think it was hard to find a tombstone in a public burial ground after all.

I was going to leave the mail alone but another one came in almost immediately after I had that thought.

Mr. Lan,
Please don't ignore this. I assure you I mean no harm.

I know it's suspicious but you're the only one who is close to Wei Wuxian who is not family.

Yet.