Chapter 36

Jiang Cheng:-

".....and that's what's happening right now." Wei Wuxian finally stopped talking after what felt like forever.

I cannot explain it, the kind of feelings I was feel right now.

Betrayal.

Hurt.

Lonely.

Confused.

Incompetence.

And much more, which I refused to unpack. I don't know whether I can follow everything that Wei Wuxian just told me.

I didn't understand why my parents couldn't tell me any of it.

"Jiang Cheng, I know what you're thinking right now." He said.

"Do you, now?" I said, my voice a double edged blade.

I don't think Wei Wuxian understood the feeling of being kept in the dark about things that were this important. Lives were put on line to keep these secrets as what they were, secrets. Not to mention, my parents, my own blood and skin refused to trust me with these secrets.

And I thought I knew what was going on. I thought I understood where I stood with my family and my siblings. With the merger being done and our company going public, I thought the only thing that was left to make sure that we pay back the Triad tenfold of what they did to us.

But I never thought of myself to be so naïve that what I knew about was only the tip of the Ice berg and that my parents didn't have the decency to even make me aware of the consequences of all that I wasn't aware of.

They say ignorance is a bliss, but they never tell you how it feels to be deliberately made to be the ignorant fool.

"Mom and Dad had a good reason for it all, albeit, I do not understand the depth of exactly what you feel. I can understand, given the recent.....situation."

"Wei Ying. Dad hid from both of us. Yet WHY...why did he choose to see you first and not me?! Am I that incompetent?!" I almost screamed.

"No, you're not. But our parents needed someone who would do the dirty work for them while not jeopardizing your chances of ascension to being the company's CEO. I was the perfect person, I had the connections, I could bare to loose the position of V.P but our parents couldn't have done that to you. I believe, this time too, it is the same." He spoke, a twinge of loneliness in his voice.

I took in his words carefully, understanding that this conversation wasn't something I could handle impulsively. I needed to consider everything, consider all the sides of the story. I understood that I was barely a victim, I understood that Wei Wuxian played the bad guy only so me and Shijie could keep our shares safe in this company. It was almost laughable how it made sense that he worked with multiple companies as a business advisor and an investor all these years. It was so he could dirty his hands and keep the payments going to all the people who helped us out.

He was willing to sacrifice himself from the very beginning. And it irks me.

"Why....why did you never talk to me about all this?" I said, my voice softer this time around.