Being One With The Truth

Dear Reader, I look like my mom. Her black hair and tan skin, even her strong cheekbones and jawline. But when I look into my eyes I see the man that left her. The one that let her kill herself in that basement all those years ago.

I hate him.

I hate me.

"And I told him that not everything can be solved with giving them a zonko product." Angelina laughed. The chorus of laughs filled the compartment but I couldn't find myself to laugh along.

The memories of what happened at the game still filled my brain. I hadn't even told Fred about that one. But I couldn't help but think back to the memories whenever I saw the healing black eye in the mirror.

"Marley?" I voice called. I looked up from my lap and made eye contact with Cho's sweet smile.

"Are you alright? You never did tell us what the black eye was from." She said in her wispy tone. I gave a fake smile and turned to Fred who had already been looking at me.

"Roughhousing with the twins gone wrong." I lied. Cho didn't seem to notice the waiver in my voice so she rolled her eyes at the boys and went along talking with Angelina.

"Marley, can I talk to you outside for a moment?" Another voice questioned. I saw Cedric standing in the doorway of the compartment, leaning on one foot from the other in nervousness.

"Yeah." I sighed. As I stood up, I felt Fred grab my hand. When I looked at him, his face was blank. But I knew he was telling me that I didn't have to explain myself to yet another person.

I replied by nodding with a smile. He let me go and I followed Cedric outside of the door.

"What happened the other night? You haven't written to me and I've been worried for weeks." Cedric said, the hurt laced his through his words.

"I, uh, I've just been kind of trying to keep my mind off of it. Spending time with the Weasley's so I didn't have to keep thinking about it." I shrugged.

Cedric stared at my features, trying to figure out what exactly he was missing that Fred had already seemed to figure out.

"Well, you know I'm always here for you right?" Cedric asked, leaning slightly at my lowered head to grab my attention.

I gave him a quick smile before I turned and walked back into the compartment sitting closely to Fred as I had done before.

***

"What do you suppose the surprise is, Marley?" Harry asked excitedly. Fred smiled slightly beside me before replying in my place.

"Probably some dance or something. Nothing cool really happens at Hogwarts." He shrugged. George snorted beside him and I turned to Harry.

"Right, because a large snake, a escaped ex-con, and a two headed dog isn't interesting." Harry laughed and slightly nudged me.

"I'd hate a dance. I've heard the rumours, though." Ron said, shoving a piece of bread from his stash in his room into his mouth.

"We're at dinner, Ronald. Can't you wait?" Hermione scolded.

"Not likely." Ron scoffed. I found myself laughing and turning over to see Cedric looking at me. The guilt filled my chest and I immediately looked down, trying not to look back at the concerned boy.

"Just tell him, Mar." Fred said slowly.

"And put someone else in danger? No, thanks." I mumbled.

About 20 minutes had passed and we had gone through the sorting ceremony but yet to hear from our headmaster. However, Hermione learned that the house elves seemed to work in the school as well and refused to eat in protest.

However that didn't stop Ron from eating his leftover sandwich from earlier.

"Marley, what do you want for your birthday?" Harry asked, leaning in slightly to hear me better.

"I-"

"Attention, students!" Dumbledore yelled loudly. The entire hall went silent as we turned our attention to him.

"Well, now we're all settled in and sorted, I'd like to make an announcement. This castle will not only be your home this year, but home to some very special guests as well..." Filch ran up to Dumbledore and began whispering in his ear as they argued.

"Five galleons that it's a dance." Fred said smiling. I turned to him with a mischievous smile.

"Five galleons says it's a game." He chuckled and held his hand out before I shook it. My eyes turned to Cedric's once again and his grey eyes pierced through mine.

A ringing rang through my ears, causing me to hiss and clutch my head tightly.

"Marley?" Fred asked softly. Only his voice sounded in mere mumbles, as if I was listening to him underwater.

The ringing got even louder and I held my head tightly. Someone grabbed my shoulder and turned me to them.

"Professor.." I mumbled, looking at McGonagall.

"Let's go, dear. You can't do this here." She said urgently. I nodded and let her lead me out of the room and towards the back door.

I saw a blurry vision of a man standing with his cane against the doorway. McGonagall lead me past him but I bumped into shoulder slightly.

The ringing turned into sirens and I cried out, almost completely falling into McGonagall's arms.

"Come on, Marley. We have to keep going." She tried.

"I got her." A voice said. I didn't even try and open my eyes. I let the person pick me up and take me the rest of the way through the hallways before sitting me on a bench.

"Marley?" The voices were muffled again.

"I've seen this place before.."
"It's a portkey. Harry...the cup is a Portkey..."

The tears rushed down my eyes as I tried to drown out the voices.

I looked up and met those same grey eyes again.

"Kill the spare!"

"No!"

"Avada Kadavra!"

The scream left my mouth before I could stop it.

"No! Please!" I cried out, falling off of the bench and moving away from him on the floor.

"Marley, what's wr-"

"Get away!" I screamed again. Cedric's face dropped as he took a slight step back.

"I've got here from here, dear. Best to go join your peers." McGonagall said softly to him. Cedric looked at me once again.

I couldn't tell what he was thinking exactly but it was a mixture of hurt and confusion. But I couldn't tell him what was going on with me.

I couldn't tell him what I saw.

After Cedric left McGonagall came down beside me and brought me into her chest. The instant relief came to me and I leaned into her touch.

"I want my mom." I whispered.

"I know, darling. I know..."