Lift Me Up

Chapter One
Lift Me Up

[A|N: Rest In Peace to Winston's mother, Cora, known affectionately as Mama Coco, who passed away on Friday morning on October 7th.]

Her absence is like the sky, spread over everything.
-C.S. Lewis

Safe and sound

Robyn climbed into the bed and took Winston in her arms, conscious of the fact that her boyfriend needed comfort. Winston laid his head on her chest while Robyn's arms wrapped around him.

Burning in a hopeless dream

Winston's mother, Cora, known affectionately as Mama Coco passed away on October 7th, Winston was struggling with the loss of his mother. She herself was sad about the death of Mama Coco. They had planned together the biggest Caribbean wedding for next year and now she wouldn't be there to experience their magical day. Celebrate like she had been planning to since they got engaged.

Hold me when you go to sleep

Robyn did her best to be there for him, she remembers feeling the same way when her grandmother passed so she wanted to make sure that Winston knew that he had her support through his mourning process. Robyn stroked his face and Winston tighten his grip on Robyn's waist.

"I miss her so much," Winston said in a soft voice.

Keep me in the warmth of your love when you depart

"I know you do, I miss her too," Robyn said.

"I miss her," Winston repeated, crying.

Keep me safe, safe and sound

"I know baby, it's really hard, but she is in a better place and she's with us. Her legacy is with us. We carry her in our hearts. I'm here for you. I got you," Robyn said comforting him.

Lift me up

"Mmh, mmh... Mmh, mmh, mmh, mmh, mmh, mmh," Robyn hummed as she slowly rocked him in her arms. Winston sighed as he closed his eyes.

"Thank you," Winston said.

Hold me down

"You're welcome baby," Robyn said, caressing his back.

Keep me in the strength of your arms

"Okay, we have to be extremely quiet, so daddy can sleep," Robyn told her son as they sneaked into the bedroom as Winston was taking a nap after his crying session earlier that day.

The baby boy laid his head on Robyn's shoulder, looking up at his mother as if he understood what she was saying about being quiet.

Robyn walked into her closet and sighed. She had a bunch of meetings to attend, but she did not want to leave Winston and their baby boy, especially on a day when Winston was feeling so sad about his mother.

"What do you think mommy should wear?" Robyn asked her son.

Robyn held up a dress that Winston had brought her from Lagos when he was there for the worldwide premiere of Black Panther: Wakanda Forever in Nigeria. Her son tried to reach out for the dress.

"Do you like it? Of course, you would have your father's sense of fashion," Robyn said as she decided she would wear the dress.

"And what's wrong with my sense of fashion?" Winston asked as he stood at the entrance of the closet, watching as Robyn and their son pick out accessories to match the dress.

"Nothing, you just can't compare it to my sense of fashion," Robyn answered Winston walked over and took their son out of Robyn's arms.

"Baby boy, tell your mommy that we Dukes can dress our asses off," Winston told him.

Robyn rolled her eyes.

"You can dress but you can't compete with me. I'm on a different level of fly," Robyn said.

Winston chuckled.

"Okay, forehead," Winston said, teasingly.

"Okay, thighs," Robyn retorted.