Chapter 3

It's the night of the Masquerade ball and Riley just spotted Prince Liam across the ballroom, standing alongside the King of Cordonia.

"I guess this is it... I'm going to talk to him..." She wipes out the creases in her dress and fixes her hair. She glances towards Maxwell who gives her a warming smile.

"Great. Looks like they're ready for you. Now, I'm going to present you to King Constantine first. You'll want to make a good first impression on him, so he'll consider you a worthy match for his son. Then you'll get your big chance to talk to Liam. "

"Thanks, Maxwell". Riley thought in her brain who wasn't already nervous and was worried about tripping. She remembers what Olivia told her about kissing the King's shoe. Was it true? she thought. She shrugged and decided to just be herself and see how far that gets her.

"Okay, I've got it."

Maxwell steers her over to the king, who's seated on a raised dais.

"Your Royal Highness," Maxwell starts as he puts a hand on her back, "May I present Lady Riley Brooks?"

The King looks at them with a welcoming smile, "Of course." The King says as he looks at her expectantly.

Riley decides to ignore Olivia's advice and curtsy. She drops a smile and bows her head. "Your Highness".

As she lifts, he still has a smile across his face, "It's a pleasure to meet the suitor Lord Maxwell's house has chosen. I hope you enjoy your time in Cordonia."

"Thank you."

Maxwell escorts her away, and she falls in line behind some ladies waiting to see the Prince. She thinks she made a respectful entrance and hopes the King thinks so as well.

"Lord Maxwell, huh?"

"That's my title. You could refer to me as 'His Lordship' from now on if you really want."

"Eh, I like you better as a Maxwell," she chuckles as the line moves forward. Her heart is in her throat ready to come out at a moment's notice. She can't wait to talk to him.

"Now, look sharp. Here's your big moment! Don't blow it." She playfully punches Maxwell in the arm as they get closer to Liam.

Suddenly, Maxwell steps aside. She takes a deep breath and steps forward, alone.

"Hello. You'll have to forgive me, but I don't think we've met." Liam's voice sends chills through her skin. She forgot she was wearing a mask, so he probably can't tell who she is. She decides to play along with the facade.

"We've actually met once before."

"Surely I would've remembered" He starts to look a little startled.

"I suppose the mask is doing its job."

"Will you give me a hint?"

"You were surrounded by your men."

"That's not much of a clue."

"And you owed me a drink."

He looks up at her with excitement and a sparkle in his blue eyes.

"Riley, I thought I'd never see you again." He moves almost taking her hand, but then steps back realizing his place. Riley remains poised and a little saddened that they can't touch. It's all that she wants to do right now.

"So, this is a good surprise, I hope?"

"The best. But how did you get here?"

"Maxwell and his brother are sponsoring me. He brought me here to join the other suitors."