Chapter 12

It's the second day of the Apple Blossom Festival! As Riley leaves the manor, Bertrand finds her.

"Riley, there you are. I'm here to prepare you for today's events at the Apple Blossom Festival."

"Way ahead of you. I ate apple tart for breakfast with apple cider and whipped apple butter, so I think I'm about as ready as I can be."

"I don't care about your food consumption." Bertrand puts his head in his hand, very agitated, "I care about how you're going to appear today. And you should care too. The best-dressed lady will be crowned the Apple Queen..."

"Ooooooo... what's that?"

"It's an amusing tradition where the festival-goers vote on who will run the Apple Court. You'd get extra publicity, the favor of the actual Queen, and the ability to boss people around for an hour..."

"Interesting. The best dressed, huh? Something tells me you've got an outfit in mind?"

Bertrand quickly leads Riley back inside the manor to change clothes...

"There's no time to lose. Through a series of promises and threats, I was able to procure a historically accurate rendition of a Cordonian peasant's best-grown from the country's most prestigious stage production company, available on consignment. With this dress, you'll be sure to win the title of Apple Queen!"

Riley looks at the dress which is a beautiful royal blue with intricate flowers decorating the bottom of it. It has green and yellow across the chest and white puffy sleeves. Traditional Cordonian folks gown that's sure to impress the Prince's family.

"How's this? Are you sure it's not... too silly?"

"It's perfect. You can thank me later. Come, we're overdue to meet Maxwell."

As Bertrand and Riley reach the apple orchard, they spot Maxwell.

"Hey, Riley. Are you ready to show us your baking skills?"

"I... am an undiscovered prodigy. I always cooked for my friends back home, and they loved it! But why would my baking skills matter out here in the orchard?"

"Because the next event of the Apple Blossom Festival involves baking an apple pie for the Queen."

"For the Queen?"

"Yes, today is all about gaining the Queen's favor... as we draw closer to the Cordonians, she'll be testing all the potential candidates. Be careful what you say around her." Bertrand gives Riley a worried look and she cocks her head at him.

"It'd also help if you won the pie-baking contest." Maxwell gives her a reassuring smile and pats her on the back.

"Roger that."

"But you won't be baking alone! It's a team event, so you can rely on the other ladies if you need to. Some of them are amazing bakers!"

"I'm sure Hana could whip up an apple pie if she was blindfolded."

"Maybe you can get her on your team!"

Maxwell directs Riley to where the other ladies gather for the Royal bake-off.

"Make House Beaumont proud," Bertrand whispers angrily at her.

Maxwell and Bertrand walk off, leaving Riley with the ladies. Moments later, Queen Regina enters.

"Greetings ladies, I'm glad to see everyone here again. We will be soon dividing into two teams to partake in the apple pie baking contest. I've decided that Olivia will captain one team and Madeleine the other. Ladies, please select your teams."