Chapter 11

A couple of weeks later, Riley is in the limo with Bertrand and Maxwell on their way to the Cordonian countryside...

Waking up from a nice nap, Riley stretches her arms and lets out a yawn. "I hate to be cliche, but... are we there yet?"

"Almost, Riley. Believe me, I'm as excited as you to get out of this car... especially since we're going to Applewood!" Maxwell raises his fist in excitement while Bertrand rolls his eyes.

"Is that the name? Applewood? Everything in Cordonia has been so grand, but that's... quaint!"

"It's decidedly appropriate. Applewood Manor borders the largest apple orchard in the entire kingdom, and that's where they first cultivated the apple varietal Cordonia is most famous for..." Bertrand glances at Riley for her response

"Oh, right. The famous apple is called... the Cordonian Ruby."

"Very good, you've been paying attention. The Cordonian Ruby is a red varietal that's pleasantly crisp with an intense flavor that has notes of honeyed caramel."

"You know, that's the most poetic thing you've ever said."

"Certain subjects call for a little poetry."

"Like apples."

"Precisely. Now, let us review your role this weekend in earnest..."

"'In earnest'? You make it sound like I need to step up my game..."

"Oh, you do. Since the King announced his retirement, everything has changed..."

"I guess the announcement was pretty serious, huh? I saw King Constantine talking to Liam about it at the beach party..."

"Really? What do you know about it?"

"Well, I know that the Prince wasn't expecting the announcement."

"Hmmm, interesting... anything else? Has he talked to you since?"

"No, I haven't seen him around much lately..."

Maxwell puts a hand on her shoulder and smiles, "he's probably busy with preparations for the Coronation..."

"That's precisely the reason we need to make a more concerted effort. We're no longer playing for the title of princess. If Riley marries him, she will be queen. The stakes are higher than ever. We must succeed."

"Bertrand... you know I care about the Prince right? We have a relationship. If he chooses me, it'll be because he cares for me, and I care for him."

"That's good. Use that. Let your sentimental heart fuel your competitive spirit."

"Bertrand..." she raises her voice in anger and scowls at him.

"I'm merely preparing you. The other ladies are only going to get more competitive, and if you do care about him, then you'll get serious."

"Well, that I can agree to."

"We're running out of time after all. There's only about a month and a half before the Coronation Ball at the end of the season."

"So soon?" Riley's heart starts racing and she begins to feel anxious.

"Time flies when you're jet-setting around Cordonia." Maxwell chimes in and moves his hand in an airplane motion.

"So what do I need to do? What are my directives for the day?"

"No time to play coy. Spend as much time with Liam as possible."

"But if you can't do that, try not to get in trouble." Bertrand glances between Maxwell and Riley and they begin to chuckle. "According to my reports, you, Duchess Olivia, and Countess Madeleine are the front runners..."