Chapter 8

In the wintry duchy of Lythikos...

Hana and Riley are getting ready for the ball. In the dressing room of Hana's suite, she springs out from behind the curtain, wearing a silver, shimmering dress!

"Ta-da! How do I look?"

"Wow, Hana, you're going to set the ball on fire. Everyone's going to be talking about your dress."

"You think so?"

"I know so. Hell, I'll force people into awkward conversations if I have to."

Hana laughs, "Come on, let's pick your dress out so we're not late to the ball."

"Hmmm... what would a royal wear to a ball like this" Riley thinks. Going through all of the dresses, she finally decides on one called the snowflake sweetheart. It is a long elegant blue dress with sheer sleeves decorated with crystals.

"It's so beautiful. You look like a magical snowstorm."

"I feel like a real princess in this dress." Riley twirls around in the mirror and admires the tulle of her dress as it sways back and forth with her movements.

"Shall we be off?"

"After you, Lady Hana."

Arriving at the chateau's ballroom, Riley spots Maxwell across the room. He bows to her and Hana.

"Ladies... It's a pleasure to see you both tonight. And Lady Brooks, I must say, you look utterly becoming. Truly, a diamond of the first water."

"That's... unusually formal of you. What gives?" Riley nudges Maxwell's arm and looks at him intensely.

"Tonight I'm representing the Duchy of Ramsford at this important social event."

"That sounds like something Bertrand would say."

'He's been calling me all night to remind me."
"Ah... you've got to be on your best behavior or else Bertrand will get on your case."

"Pretty much."

"Ooh, Olivia hired a full orchestra to play tonight." Hana claps her hands in excitement.

"I've heard you're quite the musician yourself, Hana." Maxwell eyes Hana.

"Oh, no, I'm not."

"Really? I feel like I remember hearing that you were a virtuoso pianist."

"I still play from time to time, but only for fun."

"I'd like to hear you play sometime." Riley chimes in as she listens to the wonderful sounds of the orchestra.

"I actually found a piano in the parlor here. I was considering sneaking over there to play tonight... you're welcome to join me, Riley. But for now, we should be getting our seats."

Riley glances around the room, noticing the fancy name cards at each place sitting.

"Where are we sitting?" Riley searches for her, Hana's, and Maxwell's names, but can't seem to find them.

"About that." Maxwell turns to the girls with an apologetic look, "Turns out I'm sitting at the head table with Olivia and the Prince... but you two are at the farthest table in the back. I guess Olivia put together the seating plan."

"Olivia's making me sit in the back? I'm just happy to be invited. I'm actually surprised Olivia hasn't locked me in my room yet!"

"Heh. While something like that is unlikely, I wouldn't give Olivia any ideas."

Hana chuckles, "Agreed. She already has enough schemes on her own!"

"Sorry to leave you guys, but..."