Chapter 7

Traveling away from the palace...

Riley finds herself in the Alps! Her and Maxwell, along with Drake and Hana, stand on a vista overlooking the Nevrakis chateau.

"Here we are... Welcome to Lythikos! Land of ice, snow, and mountains." Maxwell gestures his hand out to the vast scenery laid out before them.

The fresh snow sparkling in the small rays of sunshine. The mountains and trees coated with the flurries dancing around them.

"This is where Olivia lives?" Riley exclaims, trying to take everything in.

"Some of the time, yeah. She's primarily at Lythikos Hall, which is further south, but she'll host us up here for the social season, so we can take advantage of the snowy festivities..."

"And so she can take advantage of the Prince?"

"She does have the edge here, but that's no reason to admit defeat!" Hana holds her fist to show she's remaining strong.

"That's the spirit!" Maxwell says as they all continue walking around the grounds.

"What happened to your brother, Maxwell? I notice he's not around lecturing Brooks. I thought he hated to miss out on the chance to eat fancy food and rub elbows with the royals..." Drake catches up with them. There was something weird about him calling Riley by her last name. I couldn't explain the feeling.

"Bertrand was called away for some business having to do with our estate."

"Bertrand is gone? This is starting to sound like a real vacation after all." I laugh, breathing in the fresh air and possibilities before me.

"That's one way to put it, Riley. Now we can really enjoy ourselves." Maxwell chuckles and relaxes his shoulders.

All the wonders surrounded by good people, and yet, all Riley wants is Liam by her side. The competition is getting harder, mostly because she feels like a contestant on the Bachelor.

"It's a little colder than expected." The breeze hits Riley's face with an icy sting.

"Didn't you pack anything warmer?"

"Not exactly... I didn't realize it'd be snowing quite this much... but I'll survive. What say we check out the inside of the chateau?"

"Good idea, Riley. Let's go! I can show you where your room is..."

Soon, the party arrives at the Nevrakis chateau. The warmth of the estate begins to comfort Riley's cheeks. She follows Maxwell into the lavish, grand bedroom.

"Come on, Riley! Put your stuff down, so we can go!"

"What's your rush?"

"We've got an entire day in the snow planned out! Plus, I already see Olivia and Liam out there on the ice."

Riley's heart skips a beat and she quickly unzips her bag in search of something to wear.

"Better put on something warm..."

She puts on a white cable knit sweater, a plaid scarf that keeps her toasty, and an elegant brown winter coat that hugs her body just right.

"Here we go."

Back outside, Maxwell leads Riley towards the frozen lake where they put on their ice skates.

"You know how to ice skate, right?"

"Ice skating? I know the basics. Try to stay upright and don't fall?"

"Good enough." Maxwell chuckles and leads Riley over to the ice.