Chapter 6

It's the day of the derby and Riley just finished watching the races and is walking off the field with Hana.

"So we're on our way to the best party ever?" She grabs Hana's arm and jumps in excitement.

"Well, if your idea of the best party ever is a tea party with lemonade, finger sandwiches, and butter cookies."

"To be honest, I love a good tea party. I know some people think they're childish, but I can't help myself."

"What's not to love? There's nothing cozier than eating scones off a pretty set of china on a sunny afternoon. When I was little, I didn't have that many toys to play with because my parents thought they were frivolous. But I was allowed a tea set so that I could learn to be a proper hostess."

"Naturally," Riley says sarcastically. These royal families are strict beyond belief.

"I spent lots of happy afternoons sipping tea with all my favorite guests. Mr. Sock, Miss Lemon Curd, and Princess Snickerdoodle."

"Uhmm." She looks at Hana, a little sad about how her childhood has played out.

"As I said, I wasn't allowed to have toys, so I had to get a little creative."

"I just hope the company today can keep up."

"Oh, I much prefer your company. You actually talk to me!"

"Princess snickerdoodle was never one for conversation?"

"Not so much. And don't forget, we'll be meeting the Queen today! That's sure to be eventful."

"Ah yes, the Queen. Have you met her before?"

"Once, a long time ago, but I doubt she remembers me. Today will be our first official meeting.

I must confess, I'm a bit nervous."

Hana and Riley arrive at an area where a line of cars awaits. A black town car rolls to a stop near Hana, and a driver gets out to open the door for her. "Well, this is me, Riley. I'll see you at the lawn party."

"Looking forward to it."

She waves her off as a familiar limo pulls up in front of me. The driver comes around to open the door for her, as Maxwell calls out from the limo.

"Hop in!"

She slides into the limo with Maxwell and Bertrand.

"I hope you had a good time!" Maxwell has positive energy emanating from him.

"It was --"

Bertrand cuts me off, "Enough pleasantries. We only have time for business. First of all, was that Lady Hana Lee I saw you with before we pulled up? You two looked friendly."

"Hana and I are becoming friends."

"Hm... interesting. An alliance with her family isn't the worst thing as long as you don't let it distract you from the Prince... In any case, your focus today should be on impressing the Queen. She holds more sway than anyone else at court."

"Even more than the King?"

"Socially, yes. Don't underestimate her. Thankfully, you heeded my recommendation to wear something modern. That'll curry her favor."

Maxwell turns towards Riley, "Yeah, that'll help, but more than that. You need to get her to like you."

"If I'm going to get her to like me, tell me what she likes."

"The Queen enjoys fashion and like a woman with grace and style. She tends to favor the ladies who are originally from Cordonia, so you're at a disadvantage there.