Chapter 13

Early in the morning...

Riley wakes up to the sound of knocking on her door. She opens it to find Maxwell ecstatic.

"Rise and shine!"

"Wake up," Bertrand says sternly moving Maxwell aside, "No one's getting any younger here."

"Isn't it a little early for this?" She rubs her eyes and tries to make them go away.

"Today's events start early!" Maxwell takes her hands and jumps around while she limply complies.

"Obviously. Do you think we enjoy standing outside your door in the early hours like some sort of postal delivery service?" Bertrand blows out hot air and Riley raises her eyebrow at him.

"That's not what they... never mind. Today's going to be awesome! Riley, you will commune with nature along Cordonia's majestic countryside."

"Maxwell let's go to it! Sunshine is exactly what I need."

"Like a plant." Maxwell begins to laugh and Riley can't help but chuckle and have a wide grin on her face.

"We'll be following one of the historic hunting trails the old nobility would use. It's ancient. Even before a Cordonia, nobles would hunt their quarry along these trails." Bertrand straightens his suit.

"We're not actually hunting anything, right? I just want to make this clear."

"Hunting is forbidden these days. Besides, the dangerous wildlife has migrated elsewhere in the years since the great Royal Hunts of centuries past. Instead, you'll be riding on horseback through some of the most gorgeous countrysides in Cordonia."

"Come on, let's go!" Maxwell grabs Riley's hand and drags her out of the room.

Walking down the hallway, Maxwell, Bertrand, and Riley spot Hana.

"Hey, Riley!"

"Hi, Hana. Is that a new outfit? Looks fancy."

Hana's wearing black riding boots that have been shined to perfection, tan pants, a white shirt, and a bright blue blazer.

"Oh, this? It's my riding uniform. It's going to have plenty of scuffs and dirt marks at the end of it. What are you wearing for the ride?"

"I didn't bring a fancy uniform for riding."

"Of course." Bertrand rolls his eyes and Riley glares at him. "There may be one or two left in the boutique. We need to get you down there immediately."

"I'll come too!" Hana links arms with Riley and they skip to the boutique.

As they enter the boutique, Olivia fastens the final button on her blazer.

"Voila. Perfection, if I say so myself."

"You look lovely too, Olivia," Hana says as she tries to avoid eye contact.

"Of course I do."

"Olivia, let's coordinate outfits! We'd look so cute together," Riley says mockingly as she winks at Hana.

"Oooh! Like a trio." Hana laughs and Riley cocks her head and smiles.

"You two will look nothing like me! This outfit complements my dignity and grace, which neither of you has. So no matter how you will wear it, you'll never look as good as me."

"We'll see about that." Riley maintains eye contact until Olivia storms out of the room.

Riley grabs the last uniform from the rack and steps into the changing room...