Chapter 9

Back at the royal palace of Cordonia...

It's the morning of the Royal Regatta, and Bertrand and Maxwell are walking Riley back to her room after breakfast.

"Ahhhh... it's nice to be back. Don't get me wrong, I loved our ski chateau adventure, but give me a good beach party any day!" Maxwell raises his head soaking in the sunshine from the windows.

"Is that what's going on today? I thought we were watching a bunch of boats race."

Bertrand gives Riley an angered smirk and says nothing.

"Well, the Royal Regatta is a morning of sailboat races..." Maxwell chimes in, "Followed by an afternoon beach party!"

"Hold up. Something is different today... It's Bertrand. He hasn't said anything grumpy all morning."

"Normally, you'd be saying things like... 'it's not a beach party, it's a dignified beach soiree.' Or... 'Don't embarrass House Beaumont, commoner'."

"He does say that stuff, doesn't he?" Maxwell and Riley cross their arms and stare Bertrand down.

"I suppose I've been distracted lately. I've been dealing with some complicated matter concerning our estate."

"Oh... sorry to hear that."

"...Thank you, I suppose. Now I apologize for being distracted. You have my full attention. I have to ask, is that what you plan on wearing, Riley?"

"And he's back." She says scoffing at him. She looks down at her plain black tank top and denim shorts.

"I think she looks good..."

"Maxwell, be that as it may, you may want something more seaworthy. Not only will you be participating in the first race–"

"Wait, I'm going to be what?"

Bertrand continues, "But the Regatta is open to the public, so the press will be there to take photos and do interviews. It might behoove you to wear something more... nautical."

"Can we go back to that part where I'm racing?"

"Anytime a social season involves picking a royal bride, the first race of the Regatta is traditionally one that all the suitors participate in. It's mostly for the show really..."

"Whew. There's no pressure to win then..."

"Oh, there's pressure. The Regatta is one of King Constantine's favorite events. He bestows honor upon the woman who wins the ceremonial race, so it's an opportunity to get in his good graces. But you needn't worry. I've commissioned a qualified crew to man your boat. You just worry about looking good at the railing."

"So... what you're saying is I should go to the boutique?"

"It wouldn't hurt to look... "Maxwell gives Riley a compassionate look and she sighs.

Bertrand merely lifts an eyebrow.

"...On it."

In the boutique, Riley pulls together an outfit... a white shirt with black stripes, blue shorts, and a rope belt.

A short time later... she arrives at the marina where she can see grandiose, colorful boats sailing through the water in celebration of the Regatta.

"This is great! The weather's perfect!" Maxwell says as he takes a deep breath of the salty air.

"Yeah... sun's out, fun's out!"

Riley throws her arms up, basking in the warmth of the sun.

"All right, that's enough of that, you two." Bertrand gives them both a stern look, "Keep your wits about you. Lady Riley, you must remember that in a crowded venue like this, a photo can be taken at any time... Refrain from silliness. And a word of advice... if the press corners you, be sure to hint that the Prince likes you, but you don't want to be too obvious about it."