Chapter 19

Riley stares at the letter for a moment, stunned.

"Compose yourself, Lady Riley." Bertrand steps in front of her to hide her expression from the crowd. "We're in public."

"Oh. Of course." She folds the letter and picks her head back up trying to keep her composure.

Maxwell comes over to Riley and Bertrand.

"What happened? Are you okay?" Maxwell touches Riley's hand with the letter in it and she gives it to him to read. Bertrand looks over his shoulder to skim it as well.

"Sounds like someone wants me out of the way." Riley clenches her fist in a sudden rage.

"How dare anyone send a letter like this to a member of our house!" Bertrand looks around the room for suspicious subjects.

"It's probably someone plotting against me. I wonder what this person has planned."

"Whatever it is, I don't intend to let them win. I'm going to get to the bottom of this." Bertrand walks over to talk with one of the guards.

"Yeah! No one messes with our Riley!"

"Maxwell, there's one other thing... Olivia confronted me earlier today. She thought I'd written a threatening note to her."

"Most understanding." Bertrand waltzes back over into the conversation, "You, Olivia, and Lady Madeleine would be seen as the three favorites still in contention for the crown. If someone's targeting the three most likely suitors to win, then Madeleine may have also been given a note."

"And if she didn't..." Maxwell scratches his chin in thought, "It might mean she's the one messing with you and Olivia."

"Don't get ahead of yourself, Maxwell. It could simply mean that whoever is behind it wants Madeleine to win." Bertrand continues to scan the room, but still not finding anyone remotely suspicious.

"Yeah, and no one wants that more than Madeleine herself." Maxwell clenches his fist in anger crinkling the letter.

Bertrand uses a handkerchief to pluck the letter out of Maxwell's hands before returning it to him, "Maxwell, put this somewhere secure. If you two haven't already wiped away any trace, we may be able to get a fingerprint off it later."

"Got it. Be right back." Maxwell squeezes Riley's arm and dashes off with the letter.

Bertrand turns toward her and gives her a sympathetic look, "For now, Riley, you must continue as though nothing happened."

"You think that's best?"

"It could be that distracting you from the ball is exactly what the culprit desires."

"So that means...?"

"You should continue to keep up all appearances of enjoying the festivities. I suspect this is nothing more than a childish prank, but I'll investigate it. You stay focused on tonight and the Prince."

Bertrand turns to go but Riley grabs his arm, "Bertrand... wait. Earlier you said 'no one does this to a member of our house'..."

"And I stand by that."

"Well, it's just... after tonight, if the Prince does choose me, I doubt we'll get moments like this again. There's something I always wanted to know. Why did you sponsor me?

"Maxwell spoke highly of you... and..."

"The truth, Bertrand."

"Very well. I was desperate. To be honest, I had interviewed several noble ladies about taking on the task but none were up to my standards and by the time I realized that we might be left with no suitors at all when Maxwell found you, I had no choice but to take the gamble."