Chapter 4: Unknown Triad

As Kai sat in his bedroom, playing on his handheld game Kai remembered that Buck and Kai had gone Aries High school, like Kai

As Kai sat in his bedroom, playing on his handheld game Kai remembered that Buck and Kai had gone Aries High school, like Kai. Seemed strange that Buck knew the high school Kai had gone to. This gave Kai an Idea to confirm that Buck truly knew Kai since high school, or just stalked him off social media. Kai began to look about his room after a good few minutes of searching, Kai found a yearbook from their junior year of high school, as Kai opened the yearbook he could feel how damaged it was as he opened it, there where stains from what felt like an eternity ago still coating the pages. Kai skimmed throughout the pages to find where the book showed the students section. Kai skimmed through the many pages of past of past school events, teachers, and staff. It felt nostalgic seeing other people from times past. Julia Adams the Kai's best friend since middle school had applied for the navy, Carter Ramses a prominent bully at school now had the karma at working as a minimum wage gas station janitor, and now formerly Harry Jayde had transitioned to Lana Jayde, good on her! And there he saw the yearbook page of his, the portrait of Kai looked back at him with a naïve bliss in his eyes with the devil that was Dolion placed next to him. Kai was in the yearbook club and out of an act of love put Dolion's portrait next to his own. But by some strange confidence below to Kai sat the portrait of Buck, and stared at it with a slight shock, they... really were in the same school together, after all. But as Kai continued to page about the school yearbook, what started as happy and harmless nostalgia slowly transitioned into the recollection of bad stowed away memories. At the end of the book was an homage to Rihanna Marshall, an old classmate Kai had some classes with, such as culinary and film appreciation. She had been fighting breast cancer throughout her Junior year, but sadly passed. Although Kai never knew Rihanna as a classmate she felt remorseful for her friends and family, seeing someone be ripped away by an incurable disease was only something he couldn't begin to fathom in Kai's Wildest dreams. Kai also recalled that when he and Dolion went to the prom that year, all he ever did was attempt to entice Kai with things he wished would stay stowed in the farthest corners of his brain. After recalling this memory Kai slammed the yearbook shut, and placed the book onto his bedside table, opening the yearbook seemed nostalgic at first, but it felt as if Kai had opened a pandoras' box of horrible repressed memories of high school with Dolion, as Kai gazed at the texture of the ceiling he began to stare off into the void with a sour melancholy. Kai then heard his phone hum, another text from Buck had come in, a simple "Sup" from Buck. Kai reached for his phone and looked at the speech bubble blankly, should he tell Buck about his struggles, or would that be too much unsolicited information? Kai then took a deep breath in, and began to type "Nothing all too much. You?" And sent the message. Then a blinking text bubble appeared as Buck began to type, the message revealing to be: "Wanna Video Call?" Kai paused for a moment, hesitant to have Buck see Kai in such a negative state. But before Kai could even send out a text, Buck began a video call to Kai, and with hesitation Kai answered the call. "Kai, it's good to see you!" But all Buck could see on Kai's end was a duvet bundled up in a messy pile. "Is everything okay?" Buck asked with concern, and from within the monster of bedding Kai murmured, "I'm fine..." Kai then peeped his head out from the mass of blankets and pillows, his fur spiked every which way from the static electricity. "Just... got up from a nap." . "Did I interrupt it?" Buck asked, and Kai shook his head. "I kinda needed a wake up call." Buck looked back at Kai and let out a small chuckle. Buck squinted at the camera, and saw the yearbook on Kai's bedside table. "So we're you browsing the yearbook?" Buck asked. "Yeah..." Kai sighed in response. "I was in the yearbook club that year, and oh boy, that year was B A D, BAD!" Buck continued, "You may have not recognized me, as not only did I join later in the year, but I had a bit of a glow up since." Kai giggled slightly, back then Buck looked like a Russian spy, but Kai saw the minor resemblance. "Well, I gotta get going, my lunch break is coming to an end, cya" and then the phone hung up. Leaving the call, Kai had felt as if a barbell was taken off of his shoulders, there was just so much pressure Kai was putting himself under, as if he had a gun to his head, constantly saying "Don't. Fuck. Up." Kai then swiveled out of the bed onto the floor, feeling ready to continue on with his day.