𝔭𝔯𝔬𝔩𝔬𝔤𝔲𝔢

𝔓𝔢𝔬𝔭𝔩𝔢 𝔡𝔬𝔫'𝔱 𝔯𝔢𝔞𝔩𝔦𝔷𝔢 𝔴𝔥𝔞𝔱 𝔱𝔥𝔢𝔶 𝔪𝔢𝔞𝔫 𝔱𝔬 𝔢𝔞𝔠𝔥 𝔬𝔱𝔥𝔢𝔯 𝔲𝔫𝔱𝔦𝔩 𝔬𝔫𝔢 𝔥𝔞𝔰 𝔩𝔢𝔣𝔱 𝔥𝔬𝔪𝔢

Naerys covered her ears, cowering under her bed from the shouting. A girl of only 9 should not have been subjected to such internal fighting. Her older brothers were raising their voices to the point she could feel the walls of her room shake. She gasped when the skirt of her bed was lifted and a kind face and chubby hands were reaching for her.

"Naey?" Naerys took in a deep breath and poked her head out from under the bed. It was her  niece, Rhaenerya, who had came to her rescue. Aemma was kneeling next to the bed, carrying a swollen belly.

"Come on out, sweetling." Aemma smiled, extending her hand to the young girl.

"They are going to send me away." Fresh, large tears streaked her rosy cheeks. The fight breaking out was over sending her to Dorne as a gift to Prince Qoren Martell. The young girl flinched at the sound of breaking glass and tan into Aemma's arm. The woman soothed her, running her hand over her back. Rhaenerya joined in on the family hug.

The two females were some of the only people here to show her any kindness. It was hard to find those willing to be around you when you were nothing more than a bastard to the crown. See, Naerys was not the daughter of Alyssa and Baelon, but a bastard child of Baelon's. There were whispers he had bedded a witch that told his fortune.

Naerys showed up at castle doorsteps at only the age of two. Alyssa had demanded they send the girl away, even threatening to have the girl killed. Baelon did not allow it. Some say he loved Naerys' mother far too much, maybe even more than the queen herself. Besides Rhaenerya and Aemma, the only other person to treat her like a human being was her half-brother Daemon.

Daemon was a young lad with a fiery spirit. He did not care for political games or how his brother would kiss the ass of most of the Westerosi houses. Most importantly, he had never called Naerys a bastard.

The door to Naerys bedroom was shoved open and she clung to Aemma for dear life. It was Daemon who entered the room first with Viserys not far in tow. They were still bickering and Rhaenerya covered her ears, her aunt Naey pulling her in for a tight hug.

Daemon kneeled before Naerys and Aemma. He tried to cover his anger with a soft smile. He was just shy of 17 but it was obvious he had a steady head on his shoulders. His boyish grin made Naerys much calmer than she had been.

"Naerys, we are going to go on a little trip, okay? Just you and Lēkia (brother)." Naerys held onto Aemma's sleeve and looked to her brother with weary eyes. "Let's come pack your stuff."

"Daemon, if you leave with her you are NOT to return to King's Landing." Viserys fist were tightened into balls in anger. His face was so red Naerys was sure he would blow up. Daemon took Naerys hand in his and looked over his shoulder at his brother.

"I did not plan to."

Viserys gathered Naerys up a small bag. He wrapped a too large cloak around her shoulders and lifted the hood upon her head. "I believe Caraxes misses you." Naerys face lit up in excitement. If there was one thing Naerys loved more than Daemon, it was dragons. She lay many nights in bed, wishing on falling stars for a dragon of her own.

Daemon had promised her one day that he would gift her a dragon egg.

Aemma helped dress Naerys much to Viserys disapproval. She could not let either of them see the sadness in her face. She had practically raised Naerys alongside of Rhaenerya. She was taught by the septa, attended studies, she even convinced Viserys to allow her to be a cup bearer once or twice.

Viserys did not hate the girl. How could he? She was sweet and kind. She was also very shy and carried with her a trauma that no one really understood. He had never raised his voice to her or struck her. He knew what he had to do for his crown and for the Targaryen name. She would be sent off to a very powerful lord and made a mistress or possibly a wife. Either on in Dorne was treated highly and she would live a good life.

Viserys stood stern in Daemon's way. The younger man sighed and punched the bridge of his nose. "Brother, you will not see her again. Nobody will so much as whisper her name. Just allow me to take her and find somewhere that she will be able to grow up somewhat normal."

Normal.

Was anything in Westeros normal?

"Daemon, everybody in the bloody kingdom knows who she is. Our father made a..." the word mistake almost rolled off of Viserys tongue but he swallowed it. He looked at Naerys who was clutching her plush dragon so tight that the eyes might pop from the stitching. "Miscalculation. As the new King, I need to right his wrongs."

"She is a child!" Daemon raised his voice and Naerys flinched. She hid her face in her dragon and Daemon softly grabbed her hand. Rhaenerya came running to her aunt. The two young girls shared a hug and Rhaenerya began to sniffle.

"I don't want you to go..."

"It's okay Nerya! Here, you can have Ligthries! Then when you feel sad you can give him a big hug! It'll be just like I'm there!" Naerys passed the golden dragon to her niece. The scales and tips of the horns were a dark orange. Nerya knew she would have a hard time sleeping without him but at least Rhanerya would have something to remember her by.

Daemon and Naerys walked hand and hand past Viserys. The older man did not try to stop them this time. He knew deep in his heart that Daemon was doing the right thing.

The ship was already prepared to sail. Naerys was not the biggest fan of ships nor was she ready for the voyage. She was only packed what she could carry. Daemon helped her aboard the ship and she clutched the edge, peering out into the dark sea. Daemon placed a hand on her head and she looked back up at him.

Daemon looked back to his young sister with her big, round eyes. Her eyes were what stuck out most to anyone who met her. One was lilac, the statement of a Targaryen, the other was dark almost a deep brown. It was nearly black in some lights. Naerys had become self conscious of her "defect", but Aemma and Rhaenerya were quick to tell her just how lucky she was. Aemma would even dress her in sapphires and emerald colors so her eyes stood out.

Daemon looked to the bay as the ship pulled from dock. He knew just how dangerous of a decision he was making. When Naerys gave his hand a squeeze he knew what he was doing made the most sense and his half-sister would live happier than being a rich man's whore.

"Lēkia, where are we going?" Naerys did not question Daemon's judgement ever. She did not judge him for giving her far too many sweets either. Perhaps she was not the best person to judge anything.

"Dragonstone. That will be your new home. You love storms and my, do they have a lot of storms there." Daemon smiles down to Naerys who grabbed onto his hand with both of hers, daydreaming about the storms and thunder she would witness.