ℭ𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 5: 𝔑𝔬 𝔏𝔬𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯 𝔄𝔩𝔬𝔫𝔢

Naerys awoke to an empty and cold bed

Naerys awoke to an empty and cold bed. She did not even have the chance to blink the tiredness from her eyes before she sat straight up in her bed. She reached over, hoping to find her brother next to her. All she was met with was cold sheets and the morning sun. Naerys pulled her legs over the side of the bed and she whimpered at the pain in her lower back and abdomen. She scurried to the bedside table, a folded letter was awaiting her.

She gently unfolded the note and her heart stopped.

My dearest sister,

I give you my deepest apologies. Last night should not have happened. I cannot forgive myself for what I have done to you. I am returning to King's Landing. I am to be Commander of the Gold Cloaks. The Maester will provide you all the necessary teas and herbs. I do not know when I shall return but please, try to forget what happened between us.

Your brother ,
Daemon

Naerys hands shook as she finished the letter. She was not able to hold herself together. She crumbled to the floor, the letter still in her grasps. He had left her. He had left her just as everyone else had. Her mother, her other brother, her own father. The truth was Daemon knew how deeply it cut her to be alone.

Two handmaidens rushed inside of her room at the sound of Naerys cries. They each took one of her arms but she batted them away, full of rage and strife. "Unhand me!"

"Princess, you must not act like this!" The handmaiden tried to hush Naerys cries. Naerys simply covered her face. She wished she could sink into the flood. The blood on her gown and the blankets showed every sign of what had taken place. The handmaidens shared a look and helped Naerys to her feet. The three women did not hear the entrance of a third maiden.

Her feet moved fast and she kneeled before Naerys. She pushed her hair away from her sweat covered face, hushing her cries but holding her head up firmly. "Princess, listen to me. You cannot act like such a fool. Do you understand?" This handmaiden was different. She was not like the others dressed in red with dirty aprons.

Her hair was dark and braided over her shoulder. Her skin was kissed by the sun and her eyes were a deep gold. Naerys opened her mouth to cry again but it was as if all sound had escaped her. The lady before her and the two other maidens helped her to the chair. Naerys pulled her arms out of their hold and wrapped her arms around her still shaking body.

The dark haired lady grabbed a clean sheet from her basket and wrapped it around Naerys shoulders. She looked to the two other women that stood gawking. "Grab the Maester. I will stay here with the Princess." The two other women swiftly left the room. "Come, let me clean you up."

"I want to leave." Naerys took a shaky inhale and the woman gave her a soft smile.

"I cannot allow you to do that." The woman pulled a bucket of the water she had carried and set it beside the fireplace to warm it. She took a rag and soaked it in the warm water before dabbing Naerys cheeks with it. "There we go."