ℭ𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 շ: 𝔄𝔫 𝔒𝔭𝔢𝔫 𝔉𝔩𝔞𝔪𝔢

Daemon smiled as he watched Naerys dance by the fireplace

Daemon smiled as he watched Naerys dance by the fireplace. She had tried to be sneaky about the wine she had been sipping underneath the dinner table but Daemon was no idiot. Naerys giggles as she twirled around with the wine glass now clearly visible in her hand. Daemon clapped along to the imaginary beat and Naerys took a wobbly bow.

"Thank you! Thank you, I'll be here...forever." Naerys hiccuped and balanced herself against the table. Daemon wiped his mouth with a cloth and stood to help her to bed. "Wait wait I need to finish my encore."

"There will be time for dancing on your Name Day tomorrow." Naerys did not stop Daemon from changing her into her night gown. Her head was heavy with sleep and drunken waves. Daemon pulled back the blankets of her bed and helped Naerys slip inside. Daemon fluffed the pillows and made sure she was as comfortable as she could be.

Daemon kissed the top of her head, running his thumb across her forehead. "Sleep well." Daemon turned to leave but Naerys grabbed his hand softly.

"Stay. Please? Tell me a story." Daemon almost declined but seeing her sleepy eyes and red flushed face he could not leave her.

"Scoot." He tapped her side and Naerys wriggled to the opposite side of the bed. Daemon folded his hands across his stomach and Naerys glued herself to his side. She rested her head on his shoulder and wrapped her arms around Daemon's arm. "I cannot deny my sister of her wishes on her birthday, can I?"

"No, it's against the rules." Naerys giggles and her drunken blush brightened. Daemon adjusted his back into the pillows and hummed in thought.

"The story of Aegon the Conqueror is your favorite. If I remember correctly." Naerys nodded enthusiastically and shuffled up Daemon body and place her ear close to his mouth. "Let's start at the beginning. Aegon was born on Dragonstone, the very castle we sleep in at this moment. He was born to Lord Aerion Targaryen and Lady Valaena Velaryon. He had two sisters, one older and one younger. Visenya, and a younger sister, Rhaenys. It is said he married Viserys out of duty. However there are some that same he loved Rhaenys the most."

"How tragic." Naerys interjected. "To have your husband marry another woman out of a false sense of duty."

"I believe this is my story." Daemon teased. Naerys cuddled in close and went silent. "Aegon rode the monstrous Balerion into battle. Aegon  flew to Pentos atop of Balerion to meet with the Prince of Pentos and the city's magisters. Pentos and Tyrosh had asked Aegon for his aid in their struggle against Volantis."

"Is there a certain part of a man's brain that makes him unable to say no to things because of a sense of duty?" Daemon wanted to say his sister was playing a joke, but by the tone of her voice he knew she was serious.

"Duty and Arrogance can sometimes go hand in hand. Men find it difficult to separate the two." Daemon tan his fingers through Naerys hair as he continued his story. "The Storm King, Argilac Durrandon, reached out to Aegon. He proposed a marriage between Aegon and his only daughter, Princess Argella. His offer was an attempt to create a comfy pillow between his own kingdom and that of Harren Hoare, King of the Isles and the Rivers. Aegon denied the offer, of course, stating he had no need of a third wife. He offered his close friend and rumored bastard half-brother, Orys Baratheon. This angered the Storm King-" Daemon halted his story as Naerys tugged at his sleeve.

"Brother, as much as I love a good history lesson. Can you tell me about Aegon and his wives?" It was not odd for a young girl to want to hear a love story instead of a bloody war story. Daemon frowned because he was rudely interrupted but continued on anyways.

"As you know Aegon took both of his sisters to bride. It is said he loved Rhaenys faithfully. He sought her out when he was in need of a loving touch. Visenya, on the other hand, was more of a person to talk to for him. A trusted advisor if you will." Daemon stared at the ornate design on the ceiling.

"How sad it must be, to be the other woman." Naerys thought out loud.

"Some people prefer it that way," Daemon began. "I do not know why, maybe it is so taboo it excites them."

"I do not think Visenya felt that way." Naerys spoke plainly. Sleep made her mind feel fuzzy. Daemon looked over to his sister who was now watching him. Her eyes scanned over his face, studying every scar and line of his skin. "She was forced to sit back and watch her sister Dawn over their husband. He returned the favor to one sister but disregarded the other."

"Men can do and say very stupid things sometimes." Daemon could not hear the crackling fire over the sound of his own heartbeat. Naerys eyes finally landed on his lips. She studied the smallest scar over his upper lip.

Daemon felt her breath ghost over his chin. She was so close, closer than she had been mere seconds ago. Her hands grasps at his shirt and he rolled over on his side, supporting his weight on one arm. "What are you doing, Perzītsos?" Little Flame. That is what she was to him. A little light to guide his way.

"I have just missed you." It was not a lie. "Did you miss me?"

"Of course I missed you, you are all I could think about." He knew he was playing with fire. But would he be a true Targaryen if he didn't dance a little too close to the flame. Naerys was so close now he could smell the alcohol on her breath. It was sweet, it was raw, it was lovely. The fire danced across her face and she was bathed in the flame.

She was kissing him now. Her lips were frantic against his own and he could not keep up. She was trying to pull him close now, her body flush up against his. He was frozen and could not move until his thoughts returned to him. He grabbed her arms and pulled her back, she was gasping for breath now.

"Naerys."

"Brother, I am not a woman yet but I can...be better than your Lady Wife." Her tone spoke of her immaturity. Daemon schooled his head and gave his sister a firm look.

"You are drunk, and a child." Naerys heart split at the words. She moved her mouth but no words left her. Daemon pulled the blankets up to her shoulders and just held her head to his chest. He did not speak, he did not run from her room in disgust.

She was grateful no one was leaving her again.

~

The warm sunlight splayed right into Naerys eyes. She shielded the sun with her hand and groaned. She felt a heavy warmth against her and looked to see Daemon still fast asleep, his hair had fallen in his face and for once he seemed content.

The rush of embarrassment washed over her and she held her aching head. She was such an idiot. Her brother would think she was a hormonal young woman. He would be disgusted by her.

Her stomach began to ache. She brushed it off as nerves but the pain continued to grow. She grasped at her skirts and began to give heavy breaths.

Her first blood.

Her scared noises awoke Daemon who tried to shake the sleepiness from his eyes. "Naerys?"

"I'm sorry. I'll clean it up, I'm sorry!" Naerys sat up and tried to cover the blood stain with a pillow. Daemon hushed her cries and rubbed her shoulder.

"Hush, sister. It is normal. A handmaiden will take care of you. It is part of life." Daemon cradled her head against his chest and rocked her.

A squeaking, rattling noise came from near the fireplace. It almost sounded like scuttling rats. Daemon grabbed his sword from the side of the bed and slowly sat up. His face moved from concern to happiness. He turned to Naerys who clutches a sheet tight to her chest.

"Your egg, he's hatched."