ℭ𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 16: 𝔇𝔯𝔞𝔤𝔬𝔫𝔣𝔩𝔶 𝔇𝔢𝔳𝔬𝔲𝔯𝔰 𝔄𝔩𝔩

The ride to Winterfell after they left the dock was long and cold

The ride to Winterfell after they left the dock was long and cold. Naerys cursed herself for ever thinking of Dorne as "too hot". Poor Frynne had bundled herself in so many thick furs and pelts that she was nearly unrecognizable from her horse. Naerys looked at to Dallon and pulled back his hood just enough to see his face. His pale cheeks were red from the blistering wind and his nose was leaky.

"Just a little longer. When we ride over the peak you will be able to see Winterfell." The boy looked back at his mother and was actually grateful for the warm kiss she placed upon his nose. Her sweet summer child had never felt coldness. She did not even think he felt a strong enough breeze to get a chill.

Snowflakes melted against Naerys cheeks. Flying by dragon would have been much better but she could not take the chance of being so exposed to those unknown to her. Being on horseback proved much safer and did not put a huge target on their backs.

Descending over the mountain, the family found themselves in Winter Town. The streets were lined with log houses and the citizens were dressed heavily in their cloaks. They whispered about the two women on horse back as they approached the Inn. Frynne pulled her hood back from her head and the whispers grew.

"Let us stop here for a warm drink and some food. Are you hungry, Dragonfly?" Naerys pulled back her sons own hood and the boy nodded eagerly. The road had been long and grueling and some warm venison and a cold ale would hit the spot. Naerys held Dallon's hand as they entered the Inn. She pulled back up Dallon's hood so their silver hair was concealed as best as it could be.

The barmaiden was cleaning out a cup with Frynne approached the bar. She was a busty woman, with wild curly brown hair that was gathered on top of her head. She eyed the younger woman with curiosity. "Aye, what can I get you lass?"

"Whatever you recommend. We come from a long journey." Frynne gave a stiff smile. The other woman looked around her to Naerys and Dallon. Neither tried to make eye contact and kept to themselves at the table in the corner. "And a room too."

"Got any coin on ya? We ain't a charity here." Frynne fished inside her coin purse and dropped a handful of money on the bar. "I'll bring it out to ya."

Frynne returned to the table and rubbed Dallon's back as he rubbed his hand together for warmth. Naerys took his hands in her own, cupped them and blew warm air onto his frigid fingers. "How do you like the snow?"

"It's cold. It's dark and it makes my ears burn." Dallon poured. Naerys laughed at her son and kissed his fingertips. Frynne took her seat across from Naerys and Dallon and shook the snow from her cloak.

"I am in the same boat. I can't wait until we return home. I might strip naked and lay out on the balcony for hours." Naerys gave her lover a disappointed but not surprised gleam. Frynne smirked. 

She knew Naerys would not mind that in the slightest.

It was hard to ignore the long stares of the men in the Inn. They did little to hide the fact that they were gawking over the women. It was very rare for young women and children to travel alone. It was obvious that the three had came a good distance too.

A big, burly man approached the trio with fresh beef and cups in hand. Dallon felt his mouth water at the mere sight of all of the food. Usually, his mothers tried to keep him on a healthy, lean diet. But if he was going to survive in the North, he had to eat like a Northman.

Frynne paid the man a little extra under the table. The server gave a grunt and returned to his post as the three began to dig in. "I don't think I have ever been this hungry." Dallon whines as he started to devour his meat. Naerys pushed his sleeves down so the fabric would not become too messy. Frynne on the other hand was already up to her elbows in grease and meat. Naerys laughed to herself. Sometimes it was like she was taking care of two children.

Naerys picked at her food. Though she was hungry, she had a queasy feeling just sitting in this Inn. She moved her eyes around the room and they instantly fell on a bundled up old woman on the far side of the Inn.

The red Fox furs were gathered up around her face and neck. She had a heavy black cloak pulled up over her head but  long gray wisps of hair peaked out from under it. Her bony long fingers seemed to be tracing shapes in the air. Her eyes were gray and glazed over. It then dawned on Naerys that the woman was completely blind.

Naerys sat down her utensils on her plate.

"Mother?" Dallon murmured with a mouth full of meat. He had a fork full of beef dangling in the air. Naerys hushed her son and stood from the table, patting his back. "Where are you going?"

"I'll be right back." Naerys mumbled to him. Frynne tried to stop her but Naerys felt drawn to this figure. She slipped between the tables and slowly approached the woman. The old woman did not even lift her head to the approaching Naerys.

Naerys pulled back her own hood. She knew the consequences of her actions and knew that all eyes would be on her. She kneeled beside of the woman and carefully placed her hand upon the woman's finger that danced across the air. "Hello?"

A horrendous screech left the woman's mouth. Naerys fell back onto her ass and her eyes were wide with horror. The blind woman's Helios flew back and the tendrils of her hair turned into long, rotted pieces of fire. Her eyes melted from her skull and Naerys covered her ears as the woman gave shriek after shriek of agony.

Naerys stumbled to find her footing. Maggots and flying insects flew from the old woman's empty eye sockets. Naerys cried out in horror and the woman's jaw became dislodged as she mumbled the same phrase over and over again.

"The Dragonfly will devour all!"

Naerys felt a strong hand reach out and pull her in. She found herself back at the table in the corner. Frynne and Dallon were both exchanging worried looks with each other and the silver haired woman. "Naerys, are you alright? We lost you there for a second."

Naerys had spaced out and her eyes had a sheen of emptiness in them. She was just staring in the corner and it almost looked like she was lost in thought. Frynne had never seen her lover so lost before.

Naerys chest was heaving and a thin layer of sweat had collected above her brow. She wiped the corners of her eyes and her sight darted to the corner. The woman was no longer there and Naerys felt like she was going crazy.

"I'm fine. I am just tired." Naerys forced a smile and stroked Dallon's cheek. She noticed he had finish every single bite of his food and had nearly finished off his drink as well. Frynne took Naerys hand and placed the room key within her grasp.

"Turn in for the night. I will take care of him and follow you up soon." Naerys opened her mouth to disagree but Frynne gave her a stern look that Naerys took for no argument. Dallon took his mothers hand and flipped her hand over, tracing the lines of her palm.

"A good nights rest wouldn't hurt."

Naerys felt the hairs on her neck stand on edge.

Someone was watching her.