ℭ𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 22: 𝔄𝔩𝔩𝔦𝔢𝔰 𝔦𝔫 𝔒𝔡𝔡 𝔓𝔩𝔞𝔠𝔢𝔰

When Frynne arrived to her room, she was met with a heartwarming sight

When Frynne arrived to her room, she was met with a heartwarming sight. Her lover, leaned back in her chair with an exhausted and dirty Dallon sat in her lap. The sight was almost comical. He was far too big to be nestled in her lap like a babe but Naerys still had a grip around him like she had when he nursed from her. Their snores were joined in unison and Frynne giggled behind her hand. She fetched a blanket from the bed and draped it over them both.

She would fight a million wars to see her family tucked away like this. It was quiet, secluded and Dallon had found a friend. There was no way she could convince Naerys to move North like this. She would sooner freeze to death. She placed a soft kiss to each of their heads and when Frynne turned, she saw the Lady Stark standing in her doorway.

"My Lady, I was just about to head to dinner." Frynne bowed her head and did not dare look up until Gilliane stepped closer. Her hair was dark as night, Cregan obviously taking after her piercing gray eyes. Her chin was lifted as she stepped inside to examine Frynne closer.

"What is a Dornish girl doing with a Targaryen?" Ah, there it was. Frynne folded her hands at her lap and smiled at the older woman.

"I serve Lady Naerys as her handmaiden." Gilliane spatted out a pathetic laugh and shook her head. She touched the fine silk of Naerys gown, examining the thick fabric with curious eyes.

"Tell me, do all Targaryen bastards dress their ladies in-waiting in the finest of dresses like little dolls?" Gilliane dropped Frynne's sleeve almost in disgust. She looked behind Frynne to the mother and son sitting before the fire. "You care deeply for them. If I didn't know any better I would think you gathered the child yourself."

"Well, My Lady," Frynne bit back with a stiff lip. "It does not take a cock to make you a parent." Gilliane was stunned by such language. She lifted her chin and looked to Frynne. Frynne looked more like a protective animal in that moment, protective over her family. She moved a few inches so that Gilliane's view was blocked from her family. The woman sighed and pointed her head to the door.

"Let us go for a walk." It was not a question. This was a command. Frynne hooked arms with the high born lady as walked by her side.Frynne could not shake the cold touch Gilliane had. She did not know if it was from being a Lady in the north, or just her natural feel.

"I could have your tongue if I do wished for those comments. But I am starting to like you." Frynne did not know if the comment was serious or dropped in poison. But she did not know if she could risk questioning it. A north guardsmen opened the door for the two ladies as they exited into onto the balcony that overlooked the courtyard. The wind was bitter and cold, growing worse as the day drew to an end.

"How did you come to be the Lady of the North?" Frynne questioned. She figured that small talk would possibly break the awkward ice. Gilliane cocked her head in thought for a second.

"Chance, I believe. Lots of drunken talk between men I imagine." Gilliane looked down to the fine jewelry that decorated her body. "I did not love my husband at first. I was wild and free at one point. I hated the idea of being so caged." Snow flew in on the wind onto the women's cloaks.

"We have that in common then." Frynne laughed under her breath. Gilliane smiled and let go of Frynne's arm to lean against the railing.

"What about you, my dear? You are young and beautiful. Dornish. Why are you not full with child?" Frynne pressed her back against the base of a wooden rod.

"My father had too many daughters. Much prettier and tame than I." Frynne closed her eyes in thought. Her body ached with exhaustion.

"You love her." Gilliane teased. She rubbed her arms to warm up her skin as she locked eyes with Frynne. "I am no fool, neither is my husband."

"What do you plan to do with such an accusation?" Frynne raised her eyebrow. Gilliane laughed out loud and stood straight again.

"I do not care who you lie with, or who you spend your time with." Gilliane stated. "That little boy is loved beyond compare. That much is apparent." Gilliane looked down at her slender stomach. "Who is his father?"

"You know Targaryen bastards, it's hard to tell." Frynne laughed at her own comment. Gilliane did not find the joke as funny. She cleared her throat and Frynne cut off her laughter. "His father has nothing to do with him. I am just as much a parent to him as his sire."

Gilliane nodded in understanding. "I believe you. But men, men do not care for children like their mothers do." Gilliane folded her hands together. "Dallon is a fine young man, and I have no doubt you can keep him safe. I just hope his father does not change his mind."

Frynne opened her mouth to retaliate, but the door before them opened. A sleepy Dallon appeared, wrapped in furs while he rubbed his eyes. "Mama?"

"Hi sweet boy." Frynne approached the young boy with her open arms, touching his cheek softly. "Where is your mother?"

As if on demand, Naerys opened the door just a bit further to peek her own head out. Her long silver hair has fallen from its braid, looking around her reddened cheeks. Frynne smiled at her lover and gingerly pushed the strands behind her ear. Naerys eyes immediately were drawn to Gilliane who gave a soft smile. Dallon leaned against his mother on shaky legs, shivering from the cold.

"Dinner is ready." Naerys spoke plainly. Dallon yawned and tried to blink the tiredness out of his eyes. Gilliane bowed her head.

"Let's go fill our tummies then. Frynne, it was nice talking to you." Gilliane laid a hand on Dallon's head as she slipped inside of the castle. Naerys gave her spouse a questioning look, to which Frynne put a hand on her shoulder.

"I think we may have an ally." Frynne whispered under her breath. Dallon looked up to the two women, confusion writer all over his face. Frynne brushed the hair away from his own face. Her family was full of messy hair for sure. "Come Dallon, I heard there will be lots of sweets at dinner."